• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If at first you don't succeed.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adon

Jul 15, 2005
Kamogawa, Chiba, Japan

Yesterday, the weather was fine. I checked the wave report and it said that the waves would be between 0-50 cm! Pity I had to work. So I checked for today’s weather/waves and it was the same, so I thought, OK, I will go to work get all the stuff finished up and go for a spear tomorrow morning.
Before, going to bed checked the weather before bed, chance of rain in the afternoon, no waves. Yes, I am going.
Got up and left the house at 06:30, sky looked overcast, ach, should be fine. Get in the car and I am off.
About an hour into the drive the heavens open up and it is raining cats and dogs! Bummer, but I will get wet anyway, I just hope that the viz is ok!! Next thing I am stuck in rush-hour traffic. This is Japan and traffic is not the smoothest you can imagine. Anyway, after talking myself into going, then turning back, no keep going it WILL be fine, I arrived at the point.
I had been there once before in the summer and noticed Kurodai (sea bream) there so I wanted to try spearing. It is not very interesting, a row of tetrapods about 50 m off the coast, about 100 m long. I get out the car and have a look, WAVES! The surfers were out, so now I have waves, rain, and more than likely crap viz! Well I drove 3 hours to get here I am going in!
I get my gear sorted and am in the water in 15 mins flat. The viz is terrible. I hold my hand out stretched and I can’t see the end of the gun! The bottom is sandy, but I can’t see this either. It is not deep, at the tetras max depth is about 2 – 3 m. The waves are crashing through the tetras and the bubbles make it impossible to see, so you have to dive down and swim along the bottom parallel to the tetrapods.
I notice big shadows but am always just to slow in getting the gun round in time. This is mega frustrating! Halfway along I see a big shadow and am able to get the gun round and fire. YES, good shot, I see it penetrate the fish just behind the head and then the spear and fish disappear into the murk. I pull the spear line and no tension. I keep pulling and eventually get to the empty spear. Can’t believe it, it was a good shot! This is an unlucky day. I should have turned and went home.
About, 10 mins later, I see another shadow and shoot, again a good shot. This time I pull and there is a tug. Yes, it is on. I keep pulling and see the size of the fish, a good 2.5 kg, as I pull the spear slips out and it is gone! AAAAAAAh! The flopper is not engaging!
I decide I can’t go home empty handed, but at this rate, it is looking like a possibility. I get to the end of the tetrapods and turn round to go back along them, take a breath and dive, just at the periphery of my vision I see a fish moving slowly, Strange for kurodai as they are very flighty, I manage to get close and realize it is the second fish that got away, I shoot and dive down and grab the spear at both ends and flip out the flopper, and dispatch the fish with my knife in the brain. At least I got one and a nice one at that!
I keep this up for an hour and manage to lose one fish about 2 kg, was really nice silver colour, because the flopper did not engage and I could not get to the fish in time. After another 15 mins I land the biggest of the day. Same technique, dive down under the bubbles and follow the tetras. This one was a good 3 kg. So what started off as a day of bad omens, ended up being a day that I landed two of the biggest kurodai that I have ever speared and I managed it in an hour and a half.
So I suppose the moral of the story is once you decide to do something do not get disheartened until you have achieved your goal. Or it could just be that I couldn’t handle another slagging from the wife about going out spearing and coming back empty handed!
My son was well pleased with the catch!

I hope the picture uploaded
!

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 214
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT