• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If Residual Volume is high (33% ? ) begin mouthfill early

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

johnfish

May 26, 2014
I was thinking that free dive training protocols are not neccessarily designed for middle aged fat guys . I was wondering if I was reaching residual volume around 20 meters because for example that is what would happen if it were 33% and 6 L rather than 25 % and 6 L or some similar combination .

In an article about "lung age" i also noticed that the spirometers meter measurements were all over the place regardless of age . If 25% residual volume and 6L is normal but improvable , it may be the case that 30%
residual volume is normal on the weaker side of normal . I have smoked when a kid and for a 5 year stint living in another country about 10 years or so in the past.

1. Would it make sense to equalize with mouthfill around 15 or 16 meters attempting to
refine the frenzel.

2 . Does it initially become more difficult to equalize when approaching RV , even with mouthfill

I turn 59 this month , pretty fat 6ft 260lbs with a gut and have had about 150 dives or 20 diving sessions since Jan 1 , live near the ocean

I can swim about 50 meters underwater with
long fins and do 25 meter intervals and also do 25 meters without fins , I swim for about an hour when i head to the pool

i'm going to 18 meters pretty easy if my sinuses are good but that is where i hit a wall ( feels like no more air ) I probably have 3 dives to 20 meters but that has always been my cieling . It feels there is no air to equalize with .

thank you for any insights

Would it be unusual to reach Residual Volume at 20 meters of depth ?

I've been stuck at this depth for awhile . ( 150 dives over 20 sessions since Jan 1 )
I mean it feels as if I have no air to equalize

I'm kind of big and now thinking to try to

I learned in the advance course that 25% resdidual volume is normal
it can be improved to 20% and so was thinking maybe i'm 30%

Probably has more to do with being used to pressure than equalization you just need to dive a lot and get used to the pressure and do empty lung work, like stretching and empty dry statics. That was my biggest problem as I got deeper. Because u tense up if you are not used to the pressure and there goes your equalization even if you do have air in the mouth. Just don't force it because it may lead to lung squeeze if not properly acclimated to the depth. Also shedding some pounds may help too I lost 10 lbs recently and have felt like maybe like I am a bit more flexible and all round better shape always helps all the way around!! Good luck!!

Chad

This is an encouraging reply Chad and my gut tells me the same thing . thank you

Hi John, I had the same feeling as you on 30 m. I could dive to 30 and hang there for a while but when going deeper I felt uncomfortable and unable to equalize.

For me, it was very important to reach a more relaxed state and actually feel what is going on. Try to descend to a few meters before the critical depth and stop - check your abdominal muscles for any tension, relax your shoulders, feel the way you equalize, check if your mask is equalized, if your tongue is relaxed. Slowly try going deeper with every dive, but make sure you take it slow and know exactly what is happening with your body. Focus on your glottis and dont let it open.

For me, the problem was tension. My abdominals were tense, glottis would open and I would lose the charge and become unable to equalize. Once I focused on the abdominals and glottis, i found that I can reach 40 meters with ease and still feel there is plenty of air to equalize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i've read and re read your post . I want to thank you for taking the time to respond. I got it now or I kind of had gotten it prior to your reply with better or rather more consistent success . And your thoughts help me articulate what I was feeling. What resonated with me regarding your post was the description of how to stop and to listen and monitor what is going on . I'd never broken it down into a scan of the parts of the body as you outlined and often forget to watch myself equalize. The tongue should be relaxed as well as the shoulders and abdominals and if i'm not in a relaxed state for whatever reason , having a place to go in terms of these particulars is a help . Thank you for your time .

Glad I could help.

Another good thing to try is see when you charge (move air from your lungs to your mouth). Most people do it automatically and some stop doing it at a certain depth due to less air or being less acustomed. If your depth limit is 18m, try charging at 15 and equalizing your mask as well. That way, up to at least 22 m you dont have to recharge or compensate the mask and you can see if that solves your problem. If so, just work on it and gradually move deeper.

Also, it is important to stop if you feel any discomfort and not force the mouthfill or the compensation, but do everything as gentle as possible. Also remember to relax the abdominals after charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT