• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I'm a complete noob to this

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 3, 2021
Hello all! I'm JUST starting to spearfish (I'm still buying equipment) as I recently moved to Greece and haven't been able to buy a kayak as I had in PR for fishing. So figured I'd hop in the water with my brother in law and have fallen in love with the sport!

Welcome. Greece seems like a great area to spear - and buy gear :)

Welcome. Greece seems like a great area to spear - and buy gear :)
Definitely great place to buy gear! lol From what I'm told it's tricky to spear in shallow water, there's good, bigger fisher deeper, but for deeper fish (for now) I'll stick to kayak fishing and jigging.

They told you a lie. The biggest breams and often dentex too you find in the shallowest water, when the sea is calm again after a period of rough sea. Go as quiet as possible and be ready to react quickly.

Skaros, the local parrotfish species can be found in many places, the bigger ones are more skittish, however on one of the islands I sawa male parrotfish of approx 50cm, which really is as big as they possibly can get. I didn't shoot it, I let it live so it can have giant offspring. Many nice species are in the shallows, but highly depending in the season.

The only fish where it's true that you only find the bigger ones at greater depth is the dusky grouper. The most prized fish for Greek spearfishermen and threatened in its existence.

Definitely great place to buy gear! lol From what I'm told it's tricky to spear in shallow water, there's good, bigger fisher deeper, but for deeper fish (for now) I'll stick to kayak fishing and jigging.

Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
They told you a lie. The biggest breams and often dentex too you find in the shallowest water, when the sea is calm again after a period of rough sea. Go as quiet as possible and be ready to react quickly.

Skaros, the local parrotfish species can be found in many places, the bigger ones are more skittish, however on one of the islands I sawa male parrotfish of approx 50cm, which really is as big as they possibly can get. I didn't shoot it, I let it live so it can have giant offspring. Many nice species are in the shallows, but highly depending in the season.

The only fish where it's true that you only find the bigger ones at greater depth is the dusky grouper. The most prized fish for Greek spearfishermen and threatened in its existence.
I've been making contact and exploring new places and have been finding my way around the waters. I've been working on my aim, my breath hold and my hunting and I keep going down the rabbit hole haha

I've been able to located the area of where 6 barracuda live and already learned to make sure the safety is OFF :facepalm:

I went to buy my first wetsuit yesterday and made an incredible connection with the guy that took care of me, so I finally found someone to help me and give me tips while fishing together. I've been very much so been falling in love with the sport.

From what you said about the islands, by the end of this month I'll be going to Crete for a week and I'm usually going to Salamina, so hopefully I keep getting better :)

Reactions: Leander
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT