• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I'm doing a bit of speargun research, help me out

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

heebes

Dec 3, 2002
alright all the Spearo's out there. i am doing a bit of research on types of spearguns, namely where people favor a certain type of gun in the world. so here's what i need you guys to do if you don't mind: 1) where are you in the world, country and the specific region 2) the specie that you pursue most 3)the type of gun that you use most often as well as the brand of the gun.

thanks for the answers and i'll let you know my findings about what type of gun is used where, ect. in a few weeks after i gather all the info. thanks again. -greg

Here is one list for you Heebes :

JAVA SEA, poor viz, poor fish life.........

01. My favourite Navigation Bouy at 170 feet of water, only Rainbow Runners to shoot. They come and go and hang around at 5-30 feet. Riffe Standard #2 with 2 or 3 bands and 9/32" Hawaiian shaft. Cable or mono can do. FREEDIVE MODE

02. FAD. It is a few buses stacked together at 120 feet of water. Giant Trevallies hang inside the buses and snappers hiding in between the buses. Riffe Metal Tech #0. 4 or 5 bands. 3/8 shaft, Large spearhead. Strictly Cable. This is the plan but have not dove the FAD when this gun acquired. SCUBA MODE.

03. Abandoned Oil Rig. Riffe#2. 4 bands. Ice Pick spearhead. Cable only. SCUBA MODE. If I freedive the shallow section, I swap for 9/32" Hawaiian Shaft.

SUNDA STRAIGHT, This is also part of Java Sea.

ON THE WRECKS - Scuba Mode
01. If current is up to 1.5 knots, Riffe #2. Ice Pick.
02. If current above 2 knots. Metal Tech #0.

SANGIANG Island - Scuba & Freedive mode
01. On Scuba I use Riffe #2. Ice Pick.
02. On Freedive where the waves hit the rock, sometime Riffe #2, or Metal Tech #0 or Mares 85cm Cyrano pneumatic. Depends on my mood. Very shallow water up to 20 feet only. Prefer Riffe #2 with 9/32 Hawaiian Shaft.

INDIAN OCEAN PINACLE
01. If I freedive, Riffe #2. Ice Pick and float gear. So far no success, all I got is headache from the 6 footer swell.
02. Scuba Mode. Riffe #4. 3/8 shaft. Ice Pick. Cable. Usually 3 1/2 x 16mm bands.

INDIAN OCEAN SHORES, another location
01. If I freedive, Riffe #2. Ice Pick and float gear. Got a few decent fishes but never big ones.
02. Will use Riffe #4 if I scuba. Have not been there for so long but fish not as good as the pinacle. Been succesful with #2 last year.

Basicaly if the viz is 40 feet or more and current under 1.5 knots, I will use Riffe #4 in Scuba Mode. If condition not so good, I will use Riffe #2. The Metal Tech #0 is strictly for extreme current, lousy 12 feet viz or less.

I tried these Euros : Picasso +-90cm, Mares +- 90cm, Technisub +-= 90cm. I don't like them.

I tried all sort of JBLs for a good 2 years, was the gun of choice untill the Riffes came along.

Tried 120cm rear handle Collins, don't like the balance and tracking. Nice Alexander trigger and pistol grip. Muzzle heavy though.

Tried Mares Sten, Scubapro pneu, even the Russian Bear pneu. Have enjoyed Scubapro pneu for many years, this is why I still have a new seldom used Mares Cyrano 85cm pnue for memory sake.

Wants to try Hybrid Wong, RA and Omer, no chanche yet. Will not buy a gun longer than 155cm, can load them.

I hope this is informative enough.

Most of my hunting is done along the coastline of SA from the Cape to Mozambique ; specially around the latter .
I hunt pelagics exclusively and my target of choice is the wahoo and green jobfish .Both can be very wary around divers and jobfish demand both good stalking technique and an excellent breathhold .
I use three custom built euro guns (modified Rob Allen copies ) of varying length depending on likely fish to be found .
145 cm. with twin 16mm. bands and breakaway for bluewater hunting .
135 cm. with single 20mm. for everyday hunting .
110 cm. with single 20mm. and reel for shore entries .
7mm. spears on all guns ; single barb .

Location: North Gulf of Mexico (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama)

Structure: Mainly oil rigs and wrecks, some live bottom and sinkholes

Primary gun: Riffe MT 4, aluminum muzzle, 4 5/8 bands, 3/8 shaft, icepick tip, coated cable shooting line.

Secondary gun: JBL Gulf Magnum XHD, 3/8 shaft, 3 5/8 bands, JBL breakaway tip.

Reef gun (for the occasional trip to Florida): Riffe MT 2...not set up currently...

Targeted fish: red snapper, amberjack, grouper, cobia

Soon to be location: the "Midnight Lumps" of Louisiana for yf tuna and wahoo's!!!! will still be shooting the MT 4...

Mediterranean Sea.
Targets-Spinefoots(Rabbitfish),small dentex,sea bream,mullet,grouper,octopus....
Gun-86 cm OMER MB 30/86 6.5mm spear and 20mm black energy bands with real and homemade hard float.:D

The link that you posted gives more general infos.It is better to see more specific coditions, places and guns..;)

My location is Gibraltar (Med Sea). I hunt Sea Bass (3kgs - 8kgs) Grouper, Gilt Head Breams, Dentex Breams and AmberJack.

I use a Cressi-Sub Apache 90 with Cressi G20 bands and a 140cm 6.5mm shaft. Have a reel on the Gun.

When hunting in clear water I use a modified Sporasub Sniper 115cm with 20mm bands. I have modified the muzzle for a clearer view of the target. This has also got a reel.

Both guns serve their intended purpose very well. Most of the time the speargun is not to blame for not catching fish. (within reason obviously)

shaneshac,

where is Gibraltar? Any hint? What a poor geography knowledge.Hehehe..Anyway what are you hunting in open sea.I know Greater Amberjacks,Spanish Mackeral,little tunny, but i am wondering about more hardcore stuff such as swordfish that i am sure we have them in med sea but no idea about population and which sea level they live?And any info about marlins or other big boys in med?Especially the ones live near to the Cyprus?So much question?:duh :head

Gibraltar

GIbraltar is at the very entrance to the mediterranean. A british colony in Southern Spain. THere are swordfish, white marlin, atlantic bonito, giant bluefin tuna. Many of the rod and reel European records have been caught in Gibraltar.

This summer I intend to go and try to catch a Bluefin. If nothing else I'll have a laugh trying to land one.

shaneshac,

I have read numerous scientific papers on the aquatic ecology / oceanography of Gibraltar. I am very envious of your location. Gibraltar has had a marker on my "places-I-need-to-visit-before-I'm-old-and-wrinkly" world map for years. Please don't spear all the fish before I get there :D .

Ted

Last edited:
Murat...you have mentioned sworfish many times. Typically a sword swim very deep by the day and comes closer to the surface (100-400ft.) at night to hunt. They are dominantly night feeders and few have probably even been taken by spear.

Even if I saw one, I would rank it right up there with great whites on my must spear list...they are quite aggressive and are definately armed and dangerous...that bill isnt just for show.

Murat...you have mentioned sworfish many times. Typically a sword swim very deep by the day and comes closer to the surface (100-400ft.) at night to hunt. They are dominantly night feeders and few have probably even been taken by spear.

Even if I saw one, I would rank it right up there with great whites on my must spear list...they are quite aggressive and are definately armed and dangerous...that bill isnt just for show.

but they have been known to come up and bask in the sun on the surface...where people harpooned them...

Last edited:
Shaneshac,

:naughty Now i understand why we haven't got pelagic here.You guys hunting them in the enterance door of med. sea:waterwork rofl .

I heard that swordfishes are most aggressive fishes in bill fish family.But this can't stop me to stone few if i saw one while carrying proper gear.:t I will just shoot and pray for paralyze.

Boy, if that wouldnt be Darwinism at work I dont know what would be...

Swordfish by shotgun

On occasions whilst trolling on my boat I have seen large swordfish floating on the surface basking in the sun.

A friend of mine was out on his boat culling seagulls with a shotgun (seagulls are considered vermin in Gibraltar) and a swordfish lept out iof the water. He aimed and shot. He managed to take the dorsal fin clean off.
Unlucky. Would have been a first though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT