• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Imersion Speargun Concept Carbon - another design that ticks most of the boxes?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I haven't had much experience of Imersion gear but this one caught my eye. Too expensive for me unfortunately but it has a lot of good features that really appeal to me:
imersion-speargun-concept-carbon.jpg

http://apnea.co.uk/band-guns/1151-imersion-speargun-concept-carbon.html#/26-barrel_length-090cm

Features that appeal to me:
- bulk rubber (although it looks a bit thin/hollow to me, European rather than American castration rubber I expect)
- carbon barrel - I am not a "carbon head" but my old shoulders can feel the difference.
- cuttlefish profile barrel - just can't help liking this :D
- rail
- dyneema wishbone
- shark fin shaft
- a reverse trigger mech I think (spear goes way back :))
- reel, well I don't need one, but kind of nice to get one, especially if designed for the speargun

Indifferent:
The adjustable handle. It seems very French to me: unusual, a bit wacky, unnecessary complication but actually not a bad idea/feature (a bit like the suspension systems on the old Citreons :)). The handles on many very popular spearguns seem wrong to me, forcing the user's wrist into unnatural and uncomfortable positions. With this one, you get to choose the rake of the handle. You'd think they'd spend the time and effort getting the angle just right and that leave it at that (like other manufacturers) but perhaps people have different preferences & needs? I tend to avoid this sort of feature under the heading "this is the sort of stuff I break".

Muzzle is a bit too simple for my tastes. The Cressi Comanche Pacific has a much cooler bulk rubber muzzle IMHO.

Conclusion:
If they improved the muzzle (i.e. copied or bought the Cressi Comanche muzzle), replaced the handle with a simpler, stronger fixed cool ergo handle instead and sold it for £99 (w/o reel if necessary), I think they would have a great product here. But which size? 75cm is most useful here but I think it would be nice for longer gun, perhaps 100cm gun, which is not an option so 90 or 105cm. I already have the ultimate 75 & 90 for me (Omer XXV converted to use dyneema & bulk rubber), so 105 I guess! :) Spaghetti told us that the XXV was good only upto 90cm - probably right, something a little heavier & more robust is probably more fitting above that (I bet a 110cm XXV would be pretty awesome too though ;) ).

Reactions: Pinniped72
Looks nice :D Its good to see that the European manufacturers seem to be offering the sharkfin/bulk rubber/open muzzle combination more often now, in my opinion definitely the way forward ;) You never know, they may even start to produce decent pole spears :D ................ if any European manufacturers are listening could you please produce some decent pole spears and for those that already do, could you pleeeease release them into the European market........... thanks for listening :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Looks nice, but I'll stick with my RA guns. I like the rubber above the barrel, and not touching it.
I do order a lot of my other gear from them. it is good quality, so would probably be worth the price.

I have been looking into this gun and consider buying it. It really looks like a decent piece of equipment but I would love to hear a users review. Even if you have experience with other Imersion spearguns your opinion would be appreciated.
Mr. x, I could order it here for 162€ do you think this is expensive? If so what would you suggest that is equal or better in this price range? I am looking for a 90cm gun.

Hi Kodama. That is a much better price isn't it. Shipping & import tax? That must be factored in too. I believe Imersion equipment is generally well regarded - perhaps even under recognised/under appreciated. I don't need a reel, so that would be an unnecessary extra expense for me. The make & model of speargun isn't that critical, although some details can help/hinder. Length for conditions is probably more important - is 90cm optimal for your conditions?

As you are in the USA, you might also consider Mako railguns or - for the deeper-pocketed - Darryl Wong woodies.

In general, I like and use Omersub, Beuchat & Rob Allen gear. Picasso not so much.

BTW What is your avatar - are those Japanese bevel chisels/"spuds"/slips?

Hi X
Thanx for your reply. At the moment I am in Europe so shipping and tax is not an issue. I wonder about the barrel shape and how effective it is? Any thoughts?
Regarding length i am still in doubt whether I should get a 85 or 90. For now it will be used around Cap Gris Nez and the Mediterranean. Next year I will be diving along the northern California coast. 90 is universal but maybe a bit too long for in between those rocks. Suggestions?

Those are some custom made slicks by Kiyohisa. Use them daily for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the store the other day checking out the immersion concept carbon. I was not able to shoot it but the handle and trigger mechanism did not impress at all. Especially the reel felt flimsy, actually wobbled and looked really cheap
Will certainly not buy this gun. Instead I looked at a Seatec Snake which seemed very well made. Read some good things about them. Thinking of the 70 version. Any thoughts,advice or experiences with this gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT