• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

In the News...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
And me on SOURCE FM 96.1 (Falmouth and Penryn) talking live on air to John the fisherman and his mates about spearfishing last friday!

Hey Lazuli - how did your radio programme go - have you posted on it elsewhere - am very interested in how you were received?

James

Hey Lazuli - how did your radio programme go - have you posted on it elsewhere - am very interested in how you were received?

James

Hi James, sorry to have taken so long in replying.

It all went very well and I was received with a surprising open- mindedness from the host. However I had to do a lot of educating to dispel some fundamental misconceptions.
For instance the host thought we used tanks, and had no idea of the breath-hold aspect.
I sensed outright hostility from a phone in caller who is involved in the sea fishing charter and competition scene. His referring to us as "spearchuckers" on air really said more about his intellect than our sport. He also referred to all Eastern Europeans fishing in Cornwall as "Poachers". There have been two complaints about the show which pisses off the station manager. The perils of local radio.

Still, I managed some good PR for us!

Cheers,
Laz

Well done Lazuli. Seems like Eastern Europeans might be Britain's new favourite villain. The local news paper this morning reported a bag snatch at the rather genteel local Waitrose supermarket. They had a pretty good image of the culprit and described him as speaking with "an Eastern European accent". Isn't everyone east of Bodmin is a foreigner [ref. Michael Pailin's Ripping Yarn's: "Where are you from then?" "London." "Oh, London! Where's that then?" " East of here." "Oh, Bodmin!" "Uh no, further east", "Oh Russia!"]

Pity the Cornish charter boat companies don't offer a RIB service for spearos, might be fun.

Japanese ‘stockpiling tuna to cash in when fish are all but gone’
"The scale of illicit fishing, which amounts to 25 per cent of the total catch over the period, will increase demands to ban the trade in bluefin tuna. Roberto Bregazzi, a tuna industry analyst and the report’s author, branded the trade “intolerable tax-free looting”."
http://timesonline.newspaperdirect....e7a941f&key=FsY4Pd6p+NpW5vvb4Jkr1A==&feed=rss

"Fishermen’s rock is caught in middle as countries clash over falling stocks"
http://timesonline.newspaperdirect....c4226db&key=zLXYYNtlKmcYoSED+W/vqA==&feed=rss

[Probably the last links from The Times, as they now charge for full stories on-line ].

Last edited:
Jolly Scottish fisherman, Jimmy Buchan, star of the BBC series "Trawlerman", will stand as Conservative candidate at next election: Jimmy Buchan: fishing for Tory voters - Times Online

Jimmy Buchan won't return to Trawlermen? - Evening Express
'Trawlermen' star Jimmy Buchan swaps high seas for politics - Scotsman.com News

Jimmy Buchan, skipper of the now famous Amity II, will be standing in Banf and Buchan, the constituency soon to be vacated by Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond [not Salman Rushdie - see above].

Spearos and commercial fishermen don't always see eye-to-eye but we all recognise that fish stocks are threatened and know that we need to preserve and grow fish stocks if we wish to continue fishing as we do now, let alone like it was when OMD, Derek Foxen and Bill McIntyre started fishing (just before the last mini ice age?). We all want to see an end to the horrendously wasteful, discarding of fish by commercial fishermen under current EU quotas. Anyway, we've seen more of Jimmy than any other political candidate I can think of, he seems a decent sort and I wish him luck:wave.

Pushing the boat out - Film and tv - Citylife

Last edited:
How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world

How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world | Mail Online

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...reate-pollution-cars-world.html#ixzz0XnK8oPSt

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…