• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

In the News...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dammit!
Me and the wife pay Sh1t loads of money to see oceanics, halfway round the world and maybe not see any.
Could of just jumped in down in Cornwall instead.
(Anyone else think loch ness monster, when 'man eaters' are sighted just before main tourist season)?

Champion Bodyboarder Killed In Shark Attack

Very sad.

"A documentary film crew which was luring sharks with bait in waters off Cape Town has been forced to stop after a champion bodyboarder was killed by a great white."

Personally, I think it would be better if people left sharks well alone - chumming to attract sharks seems like asking for trouble. Doing it close to shore, especially where people use the area for recreation, strikes me as reckless and irresponsible.

Shark Attack: Body Boarder Dies Off Cape Town As Wildlife Crew Told To Stop Putting Chum In Water | World News | Sky News

Last edited:
There was a lot of discussion about this when I was in S.Africa last month with many diverse groups of water users expressing concern.
I read a response from the film co. (Nat Geo?) that they had been granted a licence to dump a staggering 5tonnes of blood/offal into False bay while shooting the documentary. In the report they said there was no evidence to suggest this would alter the sharks behaviour!

I don't recall anyone blaming scientists. Sounds like some consciences were pricked though (they "doth protest too much, methinks"). No doubt it's caused everyone to re-evaluate their own and others' practices - which is probably no bad thing.

Some of the national parks (e.g. Grand Teton NP) in the USA ban swimming in some of their lakes. Although the reason given there is that the soap, detergents, etc. from the swimmers & their clothes might contaminate the pristine waters. Perhaps they're just being polite?

Sharks don't like moving magnets: Shark attacks: A magnetic solution?

Interesting, I recall watching a documentary on this where a marine biologist somewhere in the tropics (really can't remember where) was testing the effects of magnets on juvenile hammerhead sharks with the same result.
He had a large shallow pool by the shore he dammed off and then made narrow passes, some with magnets layed under the sand leading to food, and found they would always avoid the magnets, even if it meant not feeding.
Hopefully they will develop a failsafe shark repellant soon, especially for spearo's - but I would have thought making one that the fish you're hunting aren't also affected by would be a tricky job? I know they existing shark-shield claims to just deter sharks but surely the fish are at least more aware of your presence?

Japanese Spider Crab, they have a dead one in a large display case at the end of the main corridor in the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford (brilliant but apparently little known Victorian museum in Oxford; recently had a multi-million £ refurb - hope they didn't ruin it).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…