• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Increasing bottom time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sep 28, 2017
Hi everyone
I would like to ask those experienced spearos how they managed to increase their bottom time.
I been doing so much cardio lately hoping that would help me but I guess it’s not working
Any recommendations please ....thanks

Reactions: A.Naish
Meditation. Breathing exercises. Building co2 tolerance.

I did it by accident, I’ve been diving and spearfishing for forty years usually alone, I’ve never taken a course. So I dropped down on a shallow reef, hit the bottom at 25 feet and was immediately surrounded by several groupers and snappers and all the other usual reef fish, grunts goatfish trigger fish etc etc, in short I was in a kaleidoscope of beautiful fish, the groupers and snappers were very curious swimming to within a few feet of me, never seen anything like it, so after a while I looked at my watch and saw 2:30 and thought wow that as long as I have ever stayed down, but I felt fine, very relaxed and enjoying all the life down there, after 3 minutes I thought well it’s been wonderfull but I should probably go up, surfaced at 3:10. So I think I was more relaxed, and entertained than usual, and I use-that dive as a benchmark on all my dives post that day, so relaxation was the main factor that got me to the three minute area.

I did it by accident, I’ve been diving and spearfishing for forty years usually alone, I’ve never taken a course. So I dropped down on a shallow reef, hit the bottom at 25 feet and was immediately surrounded by several groupers and snappers and all the other usual reef fish, grunts goatfish trigger fish etc etc, in short I was in a kaleidoscope of beautiful fish, the groupers and snappers were very curious swimming to within a few feet of me, never seen anything like it, so after a while I looked at my watch and saw 2:30 and thought wow that as long as I have ever stayed down, but I felt fine, very relaxed and enjoying all the life down there, after 3 minutes I thought well it’s been wonderfull but I should probably go up, surfaced at 3:10. So I think I was more relaxed, and entertained than usual, and I use-that dive as a benchmark on all my dives post that day, so relaxation was the main factor that got me to the three minute area.
Well I think relaxing play a major factor in freediving and spearfishing sports and but did it take you40 years to master relaxation ? I can’t wait that long

No it did not take forty years, probably 20 would be more correct. You don’t provide much information in your initial post, how long have you been diving? How deep are you diving? How long are you able to stay down there? There are a lot of folks who follow these forums that can probably give you more advice than myself. Most of but not all the comments I’ve read from people who have taken Freediver courses have been positive, have you considered this?

Spend more time at depth, simple [emoji6].

But serious

practice delay training (swim into a static then swim back) in a pool or shallow area with a buddy.

Loads of dry statics getting used to times

Try line training for freediving. Practice hangs or if you are familiar with FRC practice shallow hangs of that. This will help with comfort under pressure

Turn this practice into your spearing dives. Take time to slow down before you look around.

Always train with a competent buddy when in the water.

Descent: do you kick all the way or glide? Do you really need to?

How are you weighted?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No it did not take forty years, probably 20 would be more correct. You don’t provide much information in your initial post, how long have you been diving? How deep are you diving? How long are you able to stay down there? There are a lot of folks who follow these forums that can probably give you more advice than myself. Most of but not all the comments I’ve read from people who have taken Freediver courses have been positive, have you considered this?
Well .. I been spearfishing only for 6 months and I took freediving course level one only .
Max depth that I have reached is 21 meters in my freediving training but I when it comes to spearfishing it only 8 meters for only 30 seconds . I been doing some O2 and CO2 table and cardio hoping to be able to increase bottom time but still no improvement

Spend more time at depth, simple [emoji6].

But serious

practice delay training (swim into a static then swim back) in a pool or shallow area with a buddy.

Loads of dry statics getting used to times

Try line training for freediving. Practice hangs or if you are familiar with FRC practice shallow hangs of that. This will help with comfort under pressure

Turn this practice into your spearing dives. Take time to slow down before you look around.

Always train with a competent buddy when in the water.

Descent: do you kick all the way or glide? Do you really need to?

How are you weighted?

Ok I will try to do those training but the major problem that I am facing right now it’s the buddy , I don’t have anymore to train with

Ok I will try to do those training but the major problem that I am facing right now it’s the buddy , I don’t have anymore to train with
Where are you based? I find social media makes buddy finding much easier these days.

Do apnea walk to increase you c02 tolerance.
You can do them quiet hard on land.
I walk stairs, it works quiet well.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT