• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inhaler or exhaler

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alixir

Rock'n'Roll Freediver
Jan 3, 2010
I already wrote about this in French on Immersion Profonde's blog. I guess it's worth repeating here.

At the moment I'm doing some further studies in pop music. During the singing class the teacher, Jane Bogaert, developed the theme of breathing with regard to time and date of birth. According to a couple of German scientists, knowing whether or not we are active whilst exhaling or inhaling can help us gain greater insight into our bodily workings.

The theory stems from the observation of babies being born. At birth, the baby will either breathe then cry, or - and this is where it gets interesting freedive-wise - the infant will cry fist, with empty lungs, before taking that initial breath.

Inhalers and exhalers are supposedly conditionned according to planetary alignment at the time of birth and are respectively called 'solar' or 'lunar' breathers. Solar types will display typical behaviour patterns, bodily postures as well as sleeping and eating habits, and likewise for lunar breathers. It's also possible to be a mixture of solar and lunar.

The theory is called Terlusollogie. On the home page there's a brief descriptive in German and a breather-type calculation tool. All you have to do is enter your DOB and the hour (früh=early, tagsüber=daytime, nachts=night) and presto!

I wonder what the majority would be among freedivers..?

~ Alixir ~

Interesting...

Ausatmer - Exhalation. No wonder packing and I don't get along! ;)

The button "Erlauterung zur Rechenmethode" doesn't seem to work - how do you use this? Per Google Translate it means "explanation for the computational method."

One of each so far, with interesting remarks which seem to confirm the breathing-type theory.

As for me, I'm mixed. Apparently this is a big advantage as I can choose to be an active inhaler or exhaler depending on my mood and physical condition on any given day. If I make the effort then it's usually beneficial...

Demasoni ~ the Erläuterung link seems to be inactive. I guess they want you to buy the book to find out how the calculation works...

Demasoni ~ the Erläuterung link seems to be inactive. I guess they want you to buy the book to find out how the calculation works...
Actually not. There is just a bug in the link script - it should open a popup window with the text of this page: Berechnungsmethode

Otherwise, I always thought that we all need both inhaling and exhaling, but perhaps it's just me. It seems to be as serious as astrology. I wonder why each day we do not see thousands of new clones if astrology really works.

Last edited:
So you're skeptical, eh trux? - That's fine, really, I'm glad there are a few reactions ;) Of course, folks are welcome to take or leave it... but be warned that I'm also getting reasonable at guessing people's star signs (men are easier than women perhaps because they're more predictable?!)

As with freediving, I wasn't aware of the existance of Terlusollogie a year ago, but I've tried it out on my students (about 100 teenagers) and the results do tend to support the whole idea even though there are plenty of exceptions, yours truly for starters :D

So come on, please tell us, are you Einatmer or Ausatmer?

~ Alixir ~

PS Thanks for the Erläuterung link :)

Well, when doing the test I found out I am neither Einatmer nor Ausatmer, but rather ein Trinker - I can get the heavy object down from the shelve easier when I drink a beer. In fact I am only motivated to get it down from the shelve when the object is a box of beers, otherwise it is simply too difficult, and I find no force for it. The calculated type does not fit with what they describe it should be.

Reactions: Jon
I'm always amazed at how inventive people are, when it comes to drawing attention to themselves. Unfortunately, being a physicist, I have this strange notion that theories must be supported by facts. I didn't find a single fact to support this theory on the web page, perhaps there is some reference or other material?
How exactly is the newborn baby supposed to sense the position of the moon and the sun at birth? Is this some extraordinary sense that we lose when we grow up?

By the way, mildly related to this post, there is a plethora of "breathwork" theories, most notably the one called "rebirthing". According to this latter, our birth is a trauma which we try to forget but do not really remove. By proper breathing (not sure, but what I have seen on youtube looks a lot like hyperventilation) the suitably trained ones can go back to this initial trauma and then the door opens to a lot of wonderful things. I imagine that 1hr statics should be possible.

Reactions: MikkoP
Well, when doing the test I found out I am neither Einatmer nor Ausatmer, but rather ein Trinker - I can get the heavy object down from the shelve easier when I drink a beer. In fact I am only motivated to get it down from the shelve when the object is a box of beers, otherwise it is simply too difficult, and I find no force for it. The calculated type does not fit with what they describe it should be.

Trux, I sympathize, but what's the point of keeping boxes of beer high up on a shelf, unless there's no where else to stock them? Personally, I keep my bottles of Budwa in the fridge...

Once a man fell in a well
Splish splash splosh he sounded
If he had not fallen in
He would not be drownded

I'm always amazed at how inventive people are, when it comes to drawing attention to themselves. Unfortunately, being a physicist, I have this strange notion that theories must be supported by facts. I didn't find a single fact to support this theory on the web page, perhaps there is some reference or other material?

There's a book which I haven't read - way too lazy to wade through that much German. The terlusollogists have been gathering statistics for 40 years...

How exactly is the newborn baby supposed to sense the position of the moon and the sun at birth? Is this some extraordinary sense that we lose when we grow up?

I can't answer your questions directly, I can only speak from my own experience as a musician and and a freediver:

The rhythm of our breathing continues without ceasing all throughout life. It's what we do the most! I'm fascinated by the fact that both music and freediving require a conscious approach to the way we breathe. Also, it's interesting to look back to ancient history and customs and to see how our forefathers worshipped the sun and moon, which, to my mind, are far more appealing icons than a man-like god in whose name men still choose to go to war and kill each other because of differeing religious beliefs. Thanks, Einstein, yes I can see why you'd have wanted to be a watchmaker!

I love mystery. How was Stonehenge erected and why? What caused eastern yogis to develop pranayama? Why do people dismiss the occult as "a load of rubbish" - are they simply afraid?

Our bodies are mainly made up of liquid, but if the moon can affect the tides, then why would it not affect our bodies? Surely a baby senses many things at birth. To dismiss the fact that the way we breathe at birth may be influenced by natural cycles is losing sight of who and what we really are.

Interesting...

Ausatmer - Exhalation. No wonder packing and I don't get along! ;)

The button "Erlauterung zur Rechenmethode" doesn't seem to work - how do you use this? Per Google Translate it means "explanation for the computational method."

probably a load of old crock, but fun

Funny, I got Ausatmer too, and I really, really can't pack, and when I do manage it feels awful.

I got Ausatmer. I can pack a lot and it doesn't feel too bad. :p

Also, it's interesting to look back to ancient history and customs and to see how our forefathers worshipped the sun and moon, which, to my mind, are far more appealing icons than a man-like god in whose name men still choose to go to war and kill each other because of differeing religious beliefs.

I think the tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of people whose hearts were torn out still beating as a sacrifice to Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec Sun God, might disagree. But I agree that the current gods are not doing much better.

Why do people dismiss the occult as "a load of rubbish" - are they simply afraid?

Why are Kenyan elderly men and women still burned alive for casting malicious spells? Why have Angolan children been blinded, injected with battery acid, and killed in an effort to purge them of demons? Why is the criminal trade of the body parts of albino human beings a growing business in Tanzania?

I can tell you. Because these people don't dismiss the occult, such as witchcraft, as a load of rubbish.

Our bodies are mainly made up of liquid, but if the moon can affect the tides, then why would it not affect our bodies? Surely a baby senses many things at birth. To dismiss the fact that the way we breathe at birth may be influenced by natural cycles is losing sight of who and what we really are.

Yes, the moon affects the baby's body with a gravitational force of about 0,0001 N, which is comparable to 0,01 grams. I wonder how the baby senses that kind of force among the other numerous forces influencing him, that are up to millions of times greater? And why would that tiny force influence his breathing over the much larger ones?

But, if there really is something to this theory, it could be proven very easily. Just observe a large enough sample of newborn babies and see if their breathing is in any way influenced by their time of birth and the alignment of the moon and sun. If at certain time all the babies breathe in before they cry, and at some other time they all cry before they breathe in, then it's interesting and there is reason for further research. Before that, unfounded wild theories are just what they are, unfounded wild theories.

Last edited:
We dismiss it because it really is a load of rubbish , and no , I'm not the least bit afraid .

Did you know that Sir Hugh Dowding - officially known as the man who ensured victory at the Battle of Britain - was a spiritualist? If it hadn't been for Dowding, we would probably not be posting here today...

But, if there really is something to this theory, it could be proven very easily. Just observe a large enough sample of newborn babies and see if their breathing is in any way influenced by their time of birth and the alignment of the moon and sun. If at certain time all the babies breathe in before they cry, and at some other time they all cry before they breathe in, then it's interesting and there is reason for further research. Before that, unfounded wild theories are just what they are, unfounded wild theories.

To me forty years of statistic gathering seems to suggest that there might be something in it... At least well worth looking into as a freediver :)

To me forty years of statistic gathering seems to suggest that there might be something in it... At least well worth looking into as a freediver :)
Where they are? Are they peer reviewed? Were they published in some scientific publications? So far he only speaks about the data, but nobody seems to have seen them.

Where they are? Are they peer reviewed? Were they published in some scientific publications? So far he only speaks about the data, but nobody seems to have seen them.

Here's one [ame="http://www.amazon.de/product-reviews/3830472161/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]review[/ame] on Amazon written by a person who seems to be a peer of Dr Christian Hagena.

Here's a list of associated literature, and here's another list of practising terlusollogists.

As for my own terlusollogie experience concerning freediving, the day I managed to swim 50m DYN for the first time was with a FRC dive. Two minutes previously, I'd managed about 45m on full inhale. Sure, there's the question of more lung flexibility and better-managed contractions with FRC, but all the info on terlusollogie that I'd just discovered seemed to be pointing me towards better awareness of my own breathing mechanisms.

I used to be skeptical about everything occult, but as the French say: "Only idiots never change their minds."

;)

Here's one review on Amazon written by a person who seems to be a peer of Dr Christian Hagena.
I am sorry, but this is not what one understands under the term "peer review" in scientific world. Peer review is a critical analysis and verification done by an independent expert in given field (in case of double-blind peer review, the involved parties do not even know each others identities), not a review of a book by a journalist, or a review of a book written by one supporter of certain theory by another one like in this case. Untill now I did not see on the links anything what ressemles any serious scientific work, or any specific statistical data supporting the speculations. There is only plenty of bombastic proclamations, and invitations to buy their books.

I am sorry, but this is not what one understands under the term "peer review" in scientific world. Peer review is a critical analysis and verification done by an independent expert in given field (in case of double-blind peer review, the involved parties do not even know each others identities), not a review of a book by a journalist, or a review of a book written by one supporter of certain theory by another one like in this case. Untill now I did not see on the links anything what ressemles any serious scientific work, or any specific statistical data supporting the speculations. There is only plenty of bombastic proclamations, and invitations to buy their books.

As I already said anyone is welcome to take or leave the terlusollogie theory. Concerning scientific reviews, my experience of such articles is that nothing is published unless BigPharma is in the picture.

It's easy to publish scientific claims when Glaxo or Novartis are shelling out the dollars to fund research and marketing of new medicine which resembles a previous product apart from one tiny molecular change, in which case the funding - of which figures remain a mystery - seems infinite.

When it comes to parallel medicine suddenly the interest is lacking. Little or no money is to made from claims that people can get a better grip on their health just by being aware and observing the way in which they breathe.

The website is informative - I see no real push to buy anything. The school I attend is a state-supported institution with highly-respected, professional tutors doing the work and spreading the word.

Be a skeptic if you wish, but in my opinion you just might be missing out on something which could be decidedly helpful in all aspects of life.

Breathe!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT