• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inhaling During Ascent

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Feb 11, 2016
I have heard this a couple times: as youre coming back to the surface from, lets say, from a 20m dive, you can inhale the spare oxygen in your mask. Does anyone do this? Has anyone heard of this? Thoughts?

Yes, as you are coming up from your dive you can inhale little bits of air continuously as you ascend. They even teach you to do this in freediving classes.

I've read about but I've never been able to do it. My low-volume mask sucks up to my nose and keeps me from getting any air back.

Should I get a nose job, or should I get high volume mask with lots of extra air?

Sounds like the nose pocket on your mask is too small. I'm really picky with the way my mask fits and had to try quite a few before I found one that was just right. For me it was the Salvimar Noah, but every face is different.

I've experienced the problem you describe where the nose pocket blocks the nostrils, not only does this stop you from inhaling the spare air, but can allow water in from the bottom of the nose sometimes because the poor fit interferes with the seal. Conversely I have another mask where the nose pocket is too big, in this case it inevitably floods and you end up snorting seawater.

No need to get a high volume scube mask, you just need to try on a few masks to find out what works for your face.

I've read about but I've never been able to do it. My low-volume mask sucks up to my nose and keeps me from getting any air back.

Should I get a nose job, or should I get high volume mask with lots of extra air?
Bill, I have very low volume masks and it works with all of them. If you don't inhale the extra air as you ascend it leaks out the sides and top of the mask instead as it has to go someplace.

I've used a lot of different masks but I've never been able to suck air out of any of them. I know it has to leak out if the sides, but so what?

In most video's I've seen on youtube, there is a ton of air leaving the mask as the diver ascends back to the surface. It would only make sense to inhale all that air so to combat the urge to breathe a little bit.

Reactions: freedivinmike
It is uncomfortable to try and inhale everything in the mask because it ends up sucking to your face, and virtually impossible if the diver packed. It's not going to combat your urge to breathe but a lot spearos do it to be quieter, and free air is free air, even if it's just a bit...

Same here but I've never had any problems so..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT