• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Injury from tongue maneuver at depth

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xristos

Sep 5, 2013
Yesterday I dove Frc to around 10 m. On one dive I was focused on 1) keeping a shut glottis 2) relaxing upper body ensuring there is no tension. I'm taking a mouthfill at 1- 2 m and descending head up after a pull with hands to sink. Focusing on the two mentioned factors I forgot to let my nose open to blow some air into the mask. Once at the bottom I used the usual frenzel tongue pressuring maneuver to try and blow some air into the mask. It was quite hard. Tried harder and it is at that point that I felt something odd in neck area like pain or pressure. At start it felt like a vain popping left of trachea trying to feel with my hand what's wrong. In mirror I can't notice something obvious but today I tried exact same dive and did feel the pain in the same area. Tried the exact same dive full lung and It was perfect. I think its not some type of barotrauma since trachea feels fine but some nerve getting injured but why does it only appear in diving ?

Update: Problem persists and restricts me of frc diving completely. I suspect deeper full lung dives will trigger the same pain. The way the pain presents it self only under some pressure and going away immediately after leaving depth makes me change my mind and think it got to be barotrauma. I'm really lost but will continue looking at anatomy sheets to locate the pain. I'm tempted also to try push through the pain and go deeper to see what happens.

Last edited:
I'm tempted also to try push through the pain and go deeper to see what happens.

That sounds pretty unwise imo. See a professional and see what he/she says before you go further with your diving.

Update 2: As far as I can tell this a muscle/tendon/nerve problem that has been created out of the water and for unknown reasons gets exposed upon frc diving. If and if yes, why the equalization force revealed it, is also unknown.

Take a break. It may go away. I had something on my neck once, took 1.5 years to heal. I can still feel it sometimes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT