• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Intensity of your apnea training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Most of my training time is spent at this intensity (depth,time or distance units)

• < 50%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 80% +

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
What intensity of your apnea training do you currently spend most time training at?

(i.e: the intensity with more volume assigned to that training)

...Thinking what's the best intensity segment
for progressing without actually burn-out....
Must we suffer infinitely to make real progress???? :cool:

Ok, I've just misunderstoot the question, I'll will add the numbers behind every type of training. I just cross the 80%+ seeing the high numbers down below.

Well I just do much stamina training, and only a little breathhold.

1x a small o2 schedule -up to 90%-
1x a full light Co2 -up to 95%, but like I think it's ment, I try to do it without contractions-

I have to cycle a lot to get to the pool, or to anywhere, and I find it difficult to cycle slow, thus I usually end up racing 10KM or more to the training, at a HR of 160 :) (25-45 min race) - I say about 80% intensity-, when I go out to cycle the sport instead of getting somewhere it's 80-85% for 1-3 hours.

At the pool I train for about hour perfecting technique, at different intensity levels, with snorkle or in apnea. Useually 3 pool sessions in a week. 70% - 90%

Another thing is stretching, I try to do every day.
And to complete the circle I practice my meditation skills by sungazing at sinrise and sunset.

In my view hard static training does not work. I think to see proof of that every time I join a competition. As many do not even get close to their PB, and hearing the stories about samba's and BO's and of times going down lately.
I my view a PB comes when you have learned something.
Or improved your stamina. So I focus on learning while doing statics. I do a max once or twice a month when I feel like it, to make my progress visable to myself. As a sort of reward.

Rik has written a small Column about what he likes to call "Static Burnout Syndrome(SBS)". You can find it here:
http://www.apnea.nl/UK-Columnwk4.htm

Kars.

Last edited:
Kars,
I think the whole point of CO2 tolerance training is to get contractions. When I train for O2 I do exhale statics with hyperventilating so then I don't get any contractions. I think CO2 tolerance and getting late or early contractions is mostly genetic. ie in my case I tend to get them pretty early. When I do a max static I get contractions a little after half way, ie maybe at 3.30 on a 6.30 hold or around 3.50 on a 7.00.

When I do CO2 training I do something like 3.45 Static, 2min rest, 3.45 S, 1 min, 3.45 S, 30sec, 3.45 S, 20sec, 3.45 S.
On the last static I start getting contractions just after 1min !
But like I said I get them a bit early. But still I think the last static of a CO2 table should not be easy, and you should be getting a lot of contractions. If not you just have to do a longer breathold. The whole point is to try to get used to contractions and if you can stay relaxed they won't be as bad. Also has the temporary effect of raising CO2 buffers in your blood.

CO2 tolerance training is not fun, I only do it maybe before a comp or something, otherwise don't bother. For me it only seems to have a temporary effect, any benefit goes away after only a week or two.

Cheers,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT