• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Interested in buying a new speargun but I need help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MohamedAlMehairbi

Mar 24, 2021
So, I'm looking for a new speargun to use for hunting large fish (Grouper, king mackerel, large trevally). I don't care much about the price, just as long as it's really good quality. I'm thinking about getting one with a cuttlefish design so it's easier to travel through the water with. I wanted to get the Riffe marauder but when I went into the store it's too heavy for my liking. Any suggestions on what speargun I should get? I already have a couple of rob Allens (700, 900 roller, 1200) and a Riffe euro.

What qualities are you looking for in this new gun, besides having a cuttle design?
I think there are a lot of setups out there that can perform for what you want. What about your RA's and Riffe makes you want to try something else?
My 110 pipe gun (invert roller), for example, has taken down tuna, wahoo, mahi, large GT's, etc. While I use a cuttled barrel now, I've never really thought it tracked any better. I just have it for looks really. My cuttled guns (both wood and carbon) are heavier and do slow tracking some.
If price isn't an option, there's some nice wood guns around. Abellan, Allemani, etc. Or have it custom made. The Ulusub guns that Jon makes are great also.

If price doesn't stop you, I would go for Seahawk. Something like Veleno, like this one here. Side-to-side tracking will be better than cuttlefish. I find cuttlefish side tracking advantage to tube gun is so-so.

Those fish can be great fighters, super strong, have thick bodies, and will bend skinny spears. So, first off, consider spear thickness. You'll need something that has girth and momentum to drive through the fish and you'll need a gun powerful enough to make that happen. I wouldn't use much less than a 8mm diameter spear if you not too good at straightening them after a GT takes it for a ride. The truth is there are a lot of great guns out there that will work. I'd recommend you take a look at the Koah 130 euro as one of your options. It is powerful, has an 8mm spear, designed to keep bands out of the way for easy aim, shoots like a laser, and can do well in blue water (wahoo, mahi, etc).

Nobody has asked about the visibility. It makes no sense to have a big gun if the visibility is not good. I doubt there is a fish you can't take with your RA 120. About the Maurauder, they look nice, but the handle is the same as the Euro, which I don't like.

The Apnea Amarok regular and roller models have a somewhat oval/cuttlefish barrel shape. With a roller muzzle you probably loose most of the benefit though.

Several C4 carbon models have quite pronounced cuttlefish shape.

I would think a carbon barreled Rob Allen rollergun in 110 or possibly 120 might be versatile and probably less muzzle-heavy than your 90. But not cuttlefish shaped. I like the cuttlefish profile too ;)

The Abellan and Allemani already mentioned above are really quite impressive.

I've notice some interesting Spanish spearguns in youtube videos but have never seem them offered for sale anywhere. One roller was consistently, impressively, accurate at distance - but perhaps that's the editing! :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT