• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

International Dive Expo - featuring Jay Riffe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shadowkiller

Digital Hunter
Jul 30, 2002
The international dive expo was held at Fox studios in Sydney this weekend. Luckily I was able to trudge along with my media pass proudly displaying "Deeper Blue". :)

Half the people I spoke to were disapointed that I didn't have a camera (at home with auto wind broken), the other half were suspicious that I was trying to find some dirt...:hmm

Anyways, after "interviewing" several models and exhibitors I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with some of Australias top spearos. Rob Torelli, Andy Ruddock, Ian Puckeridge, Naomi Spicer and Margaret Kantor. Talk about spearo heaven, if I had a tail it wouldn't have stoped wagging!

After bugging those guys for an hour or two with inane questions I wandered around to the Riffe display. One of the exhibitors turned out to be Jay Riffe. Again the tail would have been in overdrive...

The guy had my respect before but after spending time with me going through the design of the Comp series, Bluewater series and the Metal Techs, not to mention floatlines, bungees, slip tips etc etc he stands out as a real ambassador for the sport. But there was another suprise... I mentioned that we had a hardcore Indonesian spearo on the forum. Jay pulled out a catalogue and whose face should appear but Iya's! Turns out the Riffe guys really appreciate Iya's testing and continued feedback.

Small world, ain't it? :D

I quote Iya experiments and success to my friends too. He is famous in his own right! My favorite phrase, that I use when I don’t agree with a riffe comment, is “Iya Says”. No one will disagree with Iya!
don

Sask is on the catalog too, under the knife section, with the two white sea bass on the back of his truck and behind him is the Riffe new factory....:p, but the print is a background print quite hard to see. I think Sask is now Julie's boyfriend ( he mentioned so )....WAY TO GO BRO !!!!........:D Where in the world you can ask your girlfriend :

" Honey pie can you load my BlueWater gun please...."

Good Job Iya! now hit them up for a job!

ah... You didn't find out of Naomi is comming to DEMA did you? :p

Willer

Of course you're in the catalog, Iya. If you sent me as much money as you send Jay, I'd paint your face on my house.

Congrats bud :) . Much respect.

Thanks for sharing Shadow.

Ted

Reactions: Iyadiver
Originally posted by Amphibious
ah... You didn't find out of Naomi is comming to DEMA did you? :p

Willer

Sorry Will, no go there. But I'll be sure to pass on your regards when I see her tonight at our club meeting... :D
If you really want I can grab an autograph for ya?
She's super cool in person, fortunately she doesn't mind constant questioning on how she gets some of the fish. :)

3 days since the expo and I'm still bouncing around with excitement at having met Jay. :cool:
Its kinda like a 5 year old meeting Batman...:D

Thats me in the Catalog

yup, thats the Sask. I nailed those 2 whites in La Jolla, San Diego in june. i came by the shop (Riffe) to show Jay and Julie, they took a couple photos and whatta know, i'm in the catalog!

in response to: "Where in the world you can ask your girlfriend :

" Honey pie can you load my BlueWater gun please...."

LOL...this is very true, but she makes me load my own gun.

She's in Hawaii as we speak for a tournament, with Jay (dad) .. and also doing some surfing and diving.... she is supposed to send me some fish "overnight" ... thats the best part.... i send her out to get the fish!! lol

Sask

PS- Iya, i hope to head over your way soon (hopefully with the Riffe's) to do some spearing

Almost forgot, heres the pIc

this is the original photo (taken by Jill Riffe) that is in the catalog.

Attachments

• wsb.jpg
    wsb.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 317
Sask,
Wow !! If the Riffe gang and yourself comes over it will be sure fun...:p. Maybe Bali will be a good destination, some area have fishes of very respectable size, even Australians go there.

Originally posted by Amphibious
Good Job Iya! now hit them up for a job!
Willer

Nah...Iya makes too much money flogging yachts as it is!
;)
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT