• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Interval training for freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
Does anyone train with cardio intervals?
If anaerobic enough, they are suposed to raise your lactate tolerance and
also your blood buffers, but I don`t know at which intensity of MHR, interval/rest ratio, interval length... should I do them to make them specific for freediving

Any ideas/suggestions? Maybe just the same HIT principles?

Thanks!

I am about to start with anaerobic training too.
My routine:
Running (you can control your HR)
2 sets of 6 x 100m, 95% max, 5 min rests(jogging), 10 min rests, 10 min rests between sets
8 x 200m, 90%, 4 min rests(jogging)
5 x 400m, 85%, 3 min rests(jogging)
4 x 800m-1000m, 85%(above anaerobic treshold), 5 min running 70% between

Not in one day, of course. Two of such anaerobic training days in a week should be enough(2 folowing days).
With 200m you will work on your speed and power.
With 400-1000m you will work on your endurance in speed and lactate tolerance.

The best training, though, would be interval training in a pool. Some training tips from monoswimmers would be welcomed. P.Pedersen is working on something. I hope to see some of his training tips on apneamania.com soon.

Have recently started using the rowing machines mid week at my local leisure centre to supplement an hour of fin work (half soft rubber bifins, half waterway monofin) each Sat & Sun - and am noticing an improvement already.

All I know about interval training comes from the downloadable training manual provided free by the rowing machine manufacturer - see www.concept2.com - or ~.co.uk in the uk. Around 250 pages covering so many relevant topics. Section 3: Physiology is a good place to start, also Nutrition and Weight Management (Section 8), etc, etc. It`s a gem.

Anaerobic may NOT be what you need - that`s aimed at the 10 sec sprinter who`s muscles are burning energy faster that oxygen can be supplied to them. Our muscles are working in an aerobic regime, slowly depleting the oxygen stored in the blood. Our lungs are in apnea but our muscles are not.

Nice thing about the rowing machine is that the risk of drowning is pretty small, and by using a heart monitor it`s easy to keep the heartrate in the desired band.

I`ve gone for - UT1 row warm-up (HR 120-140), a set of 15sec streches, TR row (4 sets of alternating rows @HR 150-166, and rests back to HR 120-ish), machines (working the abdominal and lower back muscles), AT row (2 sets alternating HR 140-149/120-ish), UT2 row warm-down (HR 100-120), and final 45sec each streches. Around 75 mins for the whole session. These reflect my max heartrate of somewhere in the 170-175 range, manual shows how to set them to suit your own.

Please don`t even contemplate just copying the above - it`s the result of applying my possibly twisted logic to what I think the manual says. The TR session may not be at all suitable, but I wanted to teach my body to recover more quickly in between the lots of fastish 25 m apneas I do at the weekend. Dropping it and doubling the AT reps may be more applicable to freediving.

Havn`t tried holding my breath on the rowing machine to imitate the apnea walk. Not far to fall, but don`t think blacking out would do much for my reputation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT