• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Introducing the Glossary!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
Hi Everyone,

After many, many requests by members we have introduced the Glossary to the DB Forums. The Glossary is a growing resource of terms to do with diving and should help assist new and experienced members alike.

It is a continually growing resource that you can contribute to as well. If you feel a term has been missed that should be included head over to the Glossary and type in the term and description - we'll then review it and add it to the Glossary if it is appropiate.

We are also testing the facility of highlighting words in posts that are part of the Glossary. You'll see words such as aerobic, AIDA, and weights underlined in the posts and if you hover over the term you'll see the description of the term.

We hope you'll find this new resource useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
That's great!
I was thinking about offering this after stumbling upon it in some other forum.

One technical issue, not very important though, in FireFox when I point on the underlined word I get a one line description, so if the description is too long it truncates it and add '...' at the end.
On IE it shows the description in multiple lines.

Michael,

I am aware of that technical issue and am awaiting a possible fix - however this is not a supported piece of software so I need to spend some time investigating it myself.

Cool! Great feature! Newbies are always asking questions like 'what is apnea/samba/training tables?'

Edit: Training tables or CO2/O2 tables doesn't appear! That's one of the main beginner questions, and the start of many a new thread!

Last edited:
A) I'd probably go with not using the highlighting feature, but only for not cluttering up the ease of viewing the posts.

B) On the other hand, it makes very visible which terms are included and if someone sees an unfamiliar term that isn't underlined, they could then submit it to the glossary to have it defined.

C) If you do finally install this feature, we need to define all the terms such as samba, so the viewer can see the definition ¡instead of "See LMC" as in the case for samba.

Adrian

Last edited:
Adrian,

There is a massive upgrade to the forums planned in the next 6 - 8 weeks. During that time i'm likely to modify the code for the Glossary to allow people to switch highlighting on and off (default to on).

We do need to define all the terms but everyone can help with that as everyone can suggest new terms!!

Reactions: Adrian
Being able to choose to highlight terms or not is the best of both possible worlds! :)

Stephan hasnt implemented the code yet Michael (pull your finger out man!! ;)) hopefully this feature will be working in a few weeks :)

aaargh so that's what the annoying blue lines are! I've been trying to turn them off for three days!!!!

PLEASE put in a facility to turn them off it possible. They annoy me! not really sure why... it just seems a bit condescending...

S

The words did help me. I only wish there was some way to turn on and off any word you want to click. Like I will be reading a post and not know several terms. I know now Samba and Free diving and the others that have already been implimented. But what about more that I will run into. I do hate having to do a search every time I get lost by the lingo. I thank you guys again for catering to us newbie's!

Testing...

Does it recognise words out of context? ;)

My favourite dance is the samba.

I'm going on holiday next week, I better start packing.

naiad said:
Testing...

Does it recognise words out of context? ;)

My favourite dance is the samba.

I am not sure that this one is so far out of context. A lot of people I know look like they are samba 'ing when they dance - You know? Loss of Motor Control? rofl

Reactions: naiad
rofl rofl rofl

Maybe this could come in useful when trying to hide a problem from pool staff. The next time I do a spectacular samba...

Lifeguard: What's happening here? Is there a problem?
My buddy (supporting my head out of the water): No, everything's fine thanks, I'm just teaching my friend some dance moves. Look, she's really getting the hang of it now!
Me (still twitching): What's the matter?
My buddy: Nothing, I'm just telling the lifeguard about your new-found talent for the samba.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT