• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Invert roller height

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

El Sardino

Nov 24, 2022
Hi,
Does the height of the invert roller cable groove relative to the centreline of the spearshaft make a difference to the flight of the shaft, ie shifting the point of impact on the fish or target?
I have read that invert guns are sensitive to setup, I havent used or handled one and am puzzled that this variation in setup seems to have no apparent ill effect.
This is conjecture on my part, I am guessing that a lot of experimentation goes on before manufacturers commit to the expense of tooling for mass production.
A quick look at various invert heads, MVD, Roisub, Picasso, Allemani, Seal etc shows a range of pull from roughly the bottom of the shaft to almost parallel to the top of the shaft, a range of 7mm + or -.
I am interested to hear the opinions of those who have any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks

Hi,
Does the height of the invert roller cable groove relative to the centreline of the spearshaft make a difference to the flight of the shaft, ie shifting the point of impact on the fish or target?
I have read that invert guns are sensitive to setup, I havent used or handled one and am puzzled that this variation in setup seems to have no apparent ill effect.
This is conjecture on my part, I am guessing that a lot of experimentation goes on before manufacturers commit to the expense of tooling for mass production.
A quick look at various invert heads, MVD, Roisub, Picasso, Allemani, Seal etc shows a range of pull from roughly the bottom of the shaft to almost parallel to the top of the shaft, a range of 7mm + or -.
I am interested to hear the opinions of those who have any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks
I run invert setups on my pipe guns (reef and BW).
Are you talking about the height the line on the roller with respect to the shaft centerline?

If so, my thought is having the roller top too high would likely impact the shaft flight. Having it lower than higher would be preferable. So I would think within the range you're finding it should be okay. I run shark finned shafts, so even if the line was pulling at the top of the shaft, it would be sending the shaft straight. If I'm thinking about it right.

You should try and shoot one! It's a more complicated setup than a roller or classic band gun, but once mine is loaded, it's recoil is very minimal for the power it provides. Cleaner line of sight too.

I run invert setups on my pipe guns (reef and BW).
Are you talking about the height the line on the roller with respect to the shaft centerline?

If so, my thought is having the roller top too high would likely impact the shaft flight. Having it lower than higher would be preferable. So I would think within the range you're finding it should be okay. I run shark finned shafts, so even if the line was pulling at the top of the shaft, it would be sending the shaft straight. If I'm thinking about it right.

You should try and shoot one! It's a more complicated setup than a roller or classic band gun, but once mine is loaded, it's recoil is very minimal for the power it provides. Cleaner line of sight too.
Thanks for the reply.
I will make a wooden gun to try the system out.
The varying axle heights make me wonder whether gun makers are adjusting the axle height to balance other design elements to get accuracy
It is also possible that wheel axle height really doesnt matter if its within a certain range, as you say.
I will make the roller wheel axle height adjustable so I dont have to cut or drill the stock if i need to change it and find out.

Thanks for the reply.
I will make a wooden gun to try the system out.
The varying axle heights make me wonder whether gun makers are adjusting the axle height to balance other design elements to get accuracy
It is also possible that wheel axle height really doesnt matter if its within a certain range, as you say.
I will make the roller wheel axle height adjustable so I dont have to cut or drill the stock if i need to change it and find out.
And what did you find out had the same question

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT