• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inverted Equalization success

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just practice...I'm a total newbie and can equalize hands free. I use my tongue by kinda pushing up the small amount of air in my mouth until I feel my ears kinda pop. Is that the Freznel technique? Works for me down to 45 ft. or so. I have'nt gone any deeper yet.

Some days my technique only works on the right side though - then I got do the manual nose plug:confused:

Last edited:
Funny how the mind works bgill. Reading your post just caused a flashback to 1954. What a year that was!
A small group of us were diving all summer and one could clear by swallowing. Shallow depths less than 10 meters. Two of us were so jealous that we spent all winter learning to clear hands free. After all these years the process just came back to me. If you swallow hard enough, your ears will move back and up a tiny bit. Matter of fact if you have trouble swallowing (big pill or dry mouth) the ears actually move first. If you keep working on hard swallows and moving the ears back you'll hear the tubes crack open. Eventually we just made the cracking noise but if I have a sticky ear on the last clear of a deep dive, it helps to move things around a little.

Great thread!

I seem to be able to equalise pretty reliably using Frenzel or Valsalva. I haven't had the chance to try for much depth and when I did one ear would just not cooperate. It was cold water so I am hoping that was the problem. I still got deeper than ever before(-16m).
It seems that a lot of the muscles involved in these techniques are not ones that would be required in a non diving person - at least at the strength needed for diving. Because of this I feel I have a lot of training ahead and there is so much info available here that I don't think I will have any trouble developing a daily exercise routine.
This thread brought back memories of a trip to hospital when I was very young (5-6?) to have my adenoids removed. It saddens me now that this course of action was taken (surely they were there for a reason) but I had no say in the matter and what is done is done. I will try to find out more about what lead to this procedure being carried out. What (if any) effect will this have on my ability to learn BTV/VTO?

BTW - Don, the link in post #1 seems to be dead.

Last edited:
That might be because this thread was made in 2003, I'm not sure Don is still keeping up with it. :)

~JMP

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT