• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kookiebrew

Aug 1, 2010
Went searching for an Irish thread and cant believe there was none. Has everyone gone under the radar or has everyone emigrated.

Was only out a few times last year as my brother who I usually spear with had a very bad back problem and found it too painful. He seems to have it under control now so we will be hoping to get out a bit more this season.

Hope everyone is still getting out even if they're not posting on here, used to love seeing all the Bass you guys further south were catching and all the great reports. Learned so much from this forum its such a shame to see how quiet the Irish lads have been.

Reactions: foxfish
Hi kookiebrew

I have not reviewed this forum in some time. I do some basic free diving in Clew Bay, Mayo, where in the Ireland are you located? I did not get out at all last year but hope to improve on that this year

TSM

Reactions: kookiebrew
Hi Mick

Im living in Shrule, about 40 mins from westport, have wanted to try a few spots over that side for a while now but never got round to it. Theres some lovely spots south of westport right the way down to clifden.

Im originally from Limerick and do most of our spearing along the Clare coast, kind of midway between myself and my brother, do a bit of camping and usually make a few days of it. Have been out around Spiddal a few times too,not a bad spot.

Hopefully the weather improves a bit and ill let you know when we get out again, your more than welcome to join us.

I live in castlebar. I have a small rib my fav dive is a wreck that is at twelve to fourteen meters deep just to the east of inishgort lighthouse .

Yep, it was extremely quiet on here last year so never bothered starting a thread.
Did a fair bit of diving in Cork last year but viz was crap most of the time, average most of the year was 3mtr or so, year before it was
so good ended up doing a few night dives.

Hopefully better this year, only living 15 mins from the coast now:)

Reactions: foxfish
Hello.
Im beginner diver and live easky sligo area and just discovering local spots.
Haven't seen many fish jet this year but lots of grabs.
Haven't catch any fish either but i'm learning.
So if anybody interested in easkey area give me a shout.:)

I was doing a bit of freediving last year. Unfortunately, not so much this year.
I'm living in Cork. Looking for dive buddies for freediving and or spearfishing.
I would be interested in getting involved in spearfishing. I don't have any of the spearfishing equipment but would invest if I met people going out regularly.

Hi Boys, is anyone planing some spearo session in the nearest future? Would like to join . That always good to spend time with people addicted to the same think.

hi lads, i'm just starting {i know it's a bit late in the season} spearfishing, i love being in or around water, also i have a fishing kayak and i live in co. Cork, any and every bit of advice will be much appreciated! cheers

I will be in Ireland for September 2018. I am certainly looking forward to spearing a pollock & a wrasse & will be trying to find more information on the Albacore offshore down south. I know there are some fantastic bluefin there, but it appears Ireland hasnt applied for a quota from the EU & this includes recreational fishing. I guess I could always go to the same location & chase the same fish on a boat from France or Spain, but it wouldnt be the same. As it is, it looks like Alberts can be speared on a boat from Ireland. Has anyone had success with this before? Local information & any thoughts would be welcome.

New to all this too. Living in east cork. Any of you guys from around the west Waterford east cork area looking for a dive buddy. Used to do lots of scuba but more interested in some foraging for sea food. :)

Hi dara, I am afraid to say this thread is not as popular as it once was but if you Google search for say Ireland 2014 or even earlier you will find lots of interesting conversation.
Hey @sharkey how did you get on...?

I'm not getting any feedback on anyone ever spearing an albacore there before, but I think I should be able to find a few interested folks to share a few days charter. :)

HI. As I know in Ireland fishing for tuna is catch and release only...Here are few spearfishers who wanted to try for albacore, but it can not be done legal, so they gave up....

I have spent a bit of time looking at this & have heard from many that its illegal. When I ask where this is stated in any legislation or regulation I am either told that "they asked a friend" or directed to the EU regulations on bluefin. I am aware that Ireland & the UK didnt apply for a quota for bluefin (this doesnt stop the fishing for bluefin off Ireland, I could simply travel to the same water from France or Spain;)). There is no piece of legislation, regulation or quotas which I can find preventing the taking of Albacore by a boat departing from & returning to Ireland. I can understand that there may be confusion, but this is to be expected when the Inland fisheries there arent able to distinguish between a snorkel & Scuba, untill thgey are pressed to do so.
If you could direct me to any legislation or regulation prohibiting the taking of albacore (not bluefin) in Ireland, i would appreciate it.(y)

Hopefully you included that there was international interest when you sent the Email to Inland Fisheries. Those guys dont seem to be able to distinguish between a snorkel & scuba until they are pushed on the issue. At first look IFI appear to be biased against spearfishing. It will be interesting to see their reply.

So I'm longing for an Irish dive and can't see any action here... Damn I miss the old days. 3 or 4 reports a day! Anyone even hit some triggers or scallops? Wexford guiltheads?

I'm very keen to learn what Ophelia and Brian did to the coast!

Haven't been out here for last 4 months. Summers way too hot. Here is my last cheeky dive on a camping trip just before summer.
17759839_10211978252028968_4085845958451617169_n.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT