• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Went searching for an Irish thread and cant believe there was none. Has everyone gone under the radar or has everyone emigrated.

Was only out a few times last year as my brother who I usually spear with had a very bad back problem and found it too painful. He seems to have it under control now so we will be hoping to get out a bit more this season.

Hope everyone is still getting out even if they're not posting on here, used to love seeing all the Bass you guys further south were catching and all the great reports. Learned so much from this forum its such a shame to see how quiet the Irish lads have been.

I'm landlocked till June but I was at an Irish Pub in Bogota last night. That's all I got for ya. Good luck finding your pals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fishing BD. Work commitments and terrible vis made this year probably the worst one for me yet. I only got out four times this year and took only two bass. Not a Gilthead to be seen since that summer a few years ago. Interestingly, I have seen a few Portuguese Man O' Wars appear over the past three years and seen lots of them washed ashore this week after Ophelia. There were four of them in one small rock pool alone near where I live and more of them washed up into the car parks and along the beaches.

Only getting back to normal now, power was out for 3 days but I've had a genny now for the past 10 years and can manage quite well, I only wish the local comms and exchanges would get a genny too as the internet and phones went out after their backup batteries failed. I haven't really had time to check out any of my hunting spots to see what disturbance has been done. A lot of coastal erosion and the unearthing of an ancient burial site in Kilmore Quay was news this week on my doorstep :)

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1693567/...phelia-causes-wexford-sea-walkway-to-rupture/

Attachments

• 20171020_115214.jpg
    20171020_115214.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 242
We have had a few Portuguese Man O'war turn up last week in North Wales, I was hoping they were not going to make it up this far up as want to get in the water this week. if the vis is good I might be able to see them before I swim into them :wideyed:

Reactions: Derekn
woah, freaky with the man o wars!
The fish is a golden trevelly, caught another this weekend, a few hamour and few bream, no photos tho!
Water is getting a bit cool, think I may need to start using the 0.5mm :)
My daughter took a little video of the camp spot and a little of the water :)

Reactions: foxfish and Derekn
So I'm longing for an Irish dive and can't see any action here... Damn I miss the old days. 3 or 4 reports a day! Anyone even hit some triggers or scallops? Wexford guiltheads?

I'm very keen to learn what Ophelia and Brian did to the coast!
plenty scallops no trigger the water was probably to cold fishing spot and technique are different this year as visibility was not great no big damage with the storm just a good bit of the kelp forest is missing. do you know how quickly a scallop bed recover after harvesting some thanks

Hello all,
I'm an enthusiastic spearo recently relocated to Dublin. I have been spearfishing for over 30 years, but mainly in the Med - so I'm currently gearing up for cold waters. I'm looking for buddies to start fishing asap - SF doesn't seem to be the most popular sport here :)

Anyone interested hit me back. Cheers

Reactions: foxfish
The desert adventure ends. Looking forward to the cool Atlantic waters and catching up.
So no bass??? What have ye done in my absence. Really looking forward to winter scallop diving. And might put my 125cm to use against some Pollock. Home in 2 weeks but may be 6 until dive gear gets home.
Anyone still here? I'm not a huge fan of the Facebook pages or posts. Maybe I'm old fashioned

Reactions: foxfish
The desert adventure ends. Looking forward to the cool Atlantic waters and catching up.
So no bass??? What have ye done in my absence. Really looking forward to winter scallop diving. And might put my 125cm to use against some Pollock. Home in 2 weeks but may be 6 until dive gear gets home.
Anyone still here? I'm not a huge fan of the Facebook pages or posts. Maybe I'm old fashioned

Welcome home...there'll be no spearfishing for bass this year https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-releases/new-eu-regulations-for-irish-seabass-fishery.html

Though looking forward to getting some pollack for that Thai fishcake recipe of yours :)

Reactions: bobdonny
Not sure if the legislation has been put in place yet but not getting any time off soon to get some diving in...might have to book a weekend down your neck of the woods later this summer :D

That would be awesome Derek, can I come your way to hunt giltheads also? :)

You certainly can :) ...though I haven't seen any since that last really warm year. It is looking like the temperatures might be heading that way again this summer so hopefully I might see them again.

Reactions: bobdonny
I had a great time diving in Ireland & the Cornish coast. No luck in getting access to the tuna which were being fished by European countries just off the Cornish coast. If I had caught a plain or boat to France & then boarded a boat back to the same spot then that would apparently be ok? Just cant catch Tuna in UK waters If the boat is a UK based one?
Photo is my first Pollock & my first dive in Nth Ireland. I had planned to leave all my kit behind in Ireland, but couldnt even find another spearo to give it to.
39638308_721656108177640_6736127793949573120_n.jpg

Good effort, Tuna are protected in U.K. waters but vulnerable nevertheless!
There have been a few caught only a few miles from my house and plenty of video showing them feeding not far from the shore.
It appears Guernsey (where I live) is right in there migrational path, some folk have been catching them and releasing them saying they were accidentally caught while shark fishing!
Some folk are saying that the 600+ lb fish don’t survive after a prolonged fight anyway.
Unfortunately the French fishing fleet is allowed to fish within three miles of our coast so I don’t hold much hope for conservation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT