• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bobdonny

Fighting Irish
Mar 16, 2010
When I started maybe 10 years back, I read thru every single Ireland thread for the wealth of knowledge contained with.

Facebook groups cannot organise this info in a same way and I quite think I'd like to look back on these posts in the future so I'll restart this, commit to it for the summer and see what comes out.

I'd be delighted if new people joined and old people came back on.

I moved home last summer from Dubai but didn't get my gear till Sept and my guns were missing.
Besides one scallop dive last year I've done nothing.
My cold water gear is rough and my wetsuit seems to have shrunk considerably ;) it'll take a few months to get back in but I'm super excited like I'm relearning it all again.

Diving the oil rigs and coral reefs is fab, but I've really missed the Irish coast and Atlantic.

My last good dive before I left was this attachment.
My goal is, somehow...., To get back up to speed and improve???
Who knows... Great to be a beginner again!

Attachments

• 1512039_10203913264889330_6138202079659813554_o.jpg
    1512039_10203913264889330_6138202079659813554_o.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 366
That is a decent catch. How large is the Irish spearo community and what regions do you usually hunt?

What do you call those flat fish- flounder, sole? I've had flat fish of various names and sizes, and they are all delicious.

In four different summers cycling around Ireland, I think my wife and I have covered almost every bit of the island's coast except for the portion between Wexford and Dublin. I spotted some places that looked very attractive for dives, but of course its just not possible to carry dive gear when traveling by bicycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish and Kodama
That is a decent catch. How large is the Irish spearo community and what regions do you usually hunt?
It was quite small up til 6 years ago then started growing fast. Everyone wanted to 'oen' their community so they started Facebook groups. Some of these grew before turning into online shops and training centers.
I've seen a drop of in community of late, not sure why, maybe the bass ban and current restrictions? And a few bad years? However, a lot of beginners cannot find good specific info so I want to come back to some forums shomehow.
I've no idas on numbers... But I'd guess maybe 80 who go at least 1 per month in Ireland.

Reactions: Kodama
What do you call those flat fish- flounder, sole? I've had flat fish of various names and sizes, and they are all delicious.

In four different summers cycling around Ireland, I think my wife and I have covered almost every bit of the island's coast except for the portion between Wexford and Dublin. I spotted some places that looked very attractive for dives, but of course its just not possible to carry dive gear when traveling by bicycle.
The oval shape is sole... Absolutely gorgeous and very rare for us here. The round shape is turbot, again incredibly rare, only time I've ever seen one in waters round here and never heard one caught on rod or spear round here, quite expensive fine dining restaurant fish.... Other flattiea are your typical plaice. Hard to get, but not quite rare. It really was a unique catch that night!

That's some effort cycling, we we're out with my family on the dungarven Greenway last week. Lovely cycle although my chain snapped at exactly the mid point 23km from my car and I'd no spares or tools :)

Let us know here when your back maybe we could loan you a mask, fins and a gun!

How'ya Rob
I still dive a decent bit during the season and a few scallop dives in the winter. I go on my own predominantly as most of the guys I knew have disappeared. Would be great if we could organise a wknd over the summer .
Neal

I would go as well. I do spearfishing quite often, but I got all the experience from the forum/website only, and my own observations. I would love to meet and got some advises from someone with bigger experience. I’m from Cork and catch mostly pollocks and sea bass...I know where flatties should be, but seen small species only...

What are the typical sea temperatures in Ireland? I think I recall reading that the water on the West Coast is warmer due to the influence of the Gulf Stream. I do recall being surprised to see some palm trees on the West Coast.

My only time in the water was brief but invigorating. We were riding down the East Coast to Dublin to end our trip, but were still in Northern Ireland. We saw a nice white sand beach with clear water and decided to take a dip. All I was wearing was a Speedo. I recall thinking that it was a good thing that I had already fathered two children since it was unlikely that I’d be able to father any more.:)

Haha, bill.... The east side going north... That's bloody cold. Ya West cork water gets the gulf stream and some tropical fish in the summer.
Water temp hits about 5'c in winter and 15'c in summer I think? Can't remember...

Guys, I think that's a good idea for a summer weekend. Let's do it!

I went out today and was met by no wind, big swell and 30cm viz. I've really lost all my ability to predict weather conditions....
Went in for a swim anyway... Got hammered by waves and cramps in legs.... Can't get used to putting on and off a 5mm open cell... I've totally gone soft.

Did feel good tho :)

Reactions: Broseidon
What a haul in the first picture!!

Glad you got out mate - shame about the conditions - you'll get there!

What are the bass restrictions looking like in Ireland these days?

Reactions: bobdonny
What a haul in the first picture!!

Glad you got out mate - shame about the conditions - you'll get there!

What are the bass restrictions looking like in Ireland these days?
One fish per 24 hour period currently. Above 45cm nose to tail to the best of my recollection . We do get some large bass here especially on the South and South East coast .

Reactions: Broseidon
One fish per 24 hour period currently. Above 45cm nose to tail to the best of my recollection . We do get some large bass here especially on the South and South East coast .

Ah, so the same as England and Wales then - thanks for that!

Got out out again today, daughter went surfing, wife went kayaking I went swimming. That may tell you the weather.
Viz went from .5m in surf to 1m in 2m kelp and 3m in 5m water. The fish we're in about 2m.

Vis was so bad I only loaded gun to the first notch. Swam the headland. Didn't see anything for about 35mins then a big bass of about 6lbs swam perpendicular to me. I admit I was a lil shocked and delayed. He spooked and swam off into the murk... I panicked and took a hail Mary shot... But gun was only loaded to the first notch. It barely left the gun and crawled meekly after the bass.

There were expletives.

After I reloaded I noticed this spot had a lot more fishlife, wrasse and spider crabs etc.
After about 10 mins of quiet stalking I floated toward a nice gulley scanning the sand and weed opposite. As the current parted the weed I noticed an 8lb bass right under me wondering if I see him.... I tried to track my gun down but it was long gone.

More expletives.

I wonder about for another 25mins unsuccessfully, wind has picked up and so has the swell, and the vis is disappearing. Finally as I resign myself to a bassless session I kick off back to shore going a bit deeper into the better vis. I swim over a shadow diving for the kelp, I kick forward looking down only to see 2 bass jetting out away from me.

I try to tell myself they were small at about 3lb each. Doesn't help much.

Oh well, soup for dinner :)

Attachments

• IMG-20190519-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190519-WA0003.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 315
Nice report. Frustration is sometimes part of the game. Good for you that you can share ocean adventures with the entire family.

Popped out today on lunch break for a quicky as I was working from home.
Glorious weather up to 10m viz in places, so.... Way to big for my 75cm. My 90cm and 125cm was nicked and my new 105 is not here yet so I wasn't very optimistic.

30mins in I come accross my first bass and see himself and 3 others sunbathing in a gully. All notice me and don't seem too bothered. They are just a little out of range... I try to creep up every so slowly. They are in range. I see a big donkey curious in the distance coming in but suddenly he stops. The one closest tome has gotten nervous and is staring me straight on... As I'm thinking about a kebab shot he begins to turn... I take the shot but it's bad ( I remember the cressi shoots low and I ain't shot it in 5 years).

It goes right thru the bottom of the belly. I only remember 1 of the important tips... Drop the gun so not to put pressure on the line. I forgot the second... Get him in a bear hug.

And he's torn off. The other bass don't seem fussed but I want to find this fish so I hunt him down for the next 30mins spotting him 3 more times (big white belly flap gives it away).
He seems remarkably resilient...

I can't find find him and have to jump out for a meeting. So I give up, again, but I do manage to grab a few spiders.... Thai fish cakes will just have to keep me going.

Attachments

• IMG_20190521_144905.jpg
    IMG_20190521_144905.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 294
Reactions: Broseidon and Corki
Must be good to get back at it. No shortage of bass in our usual spots! I'll be home in june rob. I'll give you a call.

It's been pretty poor in East Cork over the last few years, blanked plenty of times. I'm going to dust off the dive gear later.

I did think the bass were harder to find but they were there. I'm aiming for flat fish as a goal.
Happy to explore new spots too, maybe kayak accessible spots?
Hook me up Johnny, and 10m vis is there Craig, was almost considering a night dive to boot!

You know it's summer when the fish cakes come out :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_184453.jpg
    IMG_20190522_184453.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 282
Reactions: Derekn and foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT