• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ben Gowland

Aplysia gowlandicus
Apr 4, 2002
Is anyone on this list from Ireland?

I am trying to organise a freediving and sperafishing trip there for later in the year and could do with some advice.

Ta,

Ben

Ben
I live in Ireland and Spearfish here on the SW corner (Beara Pen.)
I would be more than willing to give advice on diving here, just mail me.

Huan

Spearfishing Ireland

Hi Ben

I went on a surf trip to Ireland two years ago but ended up doing a fair bit of spearfishing and diving there. We basically travelled down most of the West coast stopping at Dingle. I was very impressed with the diving there - loads of life and clear clean water. The best area I visited for spearfishing was around Lahinch and Doolin where I saw a fair few 10lb + Bass and loads of Mullet. Didint shoot any though as they would not fit on my camping stove - thats my excuse and im sticking to it!

Speaking to people over there the Beara peninsula was highly recommended for good vis and fish and I would imagine the South coast is very good too.

Ive heard Tuna can be caught there at the right time of year?

Hope this helps but I guess some locals can give you a lot more advice.

Cheers

Matt

The place you want to go to Ben is called Killybegs, I cant remember the name of the guy that hires the boats, but he is responsible for catching a near 1000lb tuna about 200yds off shore of Killybegs, the run happens in September I believe, I tried (and failed) to organise a trip there a good while ago, Paul Maxwell has been and fished those waters, so get in touch with him for more info, one thing I do know though, is you need to book your hire boat pretty quickly, or they go - faster than the tuna...........

Good Luck, and if you need wingmen - I know where to find them I think :D

Irish Tuna

I don't think that jumping in and trying to spear a 968lb bluefin is probably what was intended.
To spear a fish that size you will need not only one of the most powerful bluewater guns made you will also need a good float system and bungee as well
The authorities are also very hot on people killing these fish as Ireland and the UK do not have any quota for these tuna.
I believe that in the normal run of spearing as matt says W/SW and the S coasts are best for general spearing.
Bass, Pollock,Flatties

Huan

guys, do you need to register the rubber underwater gun in Ireland. Thanks.

Rubber Guns are OK Pneumatics are classed as compressed air weapons and are treated like firearms, or are supposed to be!
In practice as long as you don't brandish weapons around you should be ok no matter what you choose to use.

try a place called port na blah, you can get pollock, wrasse, bass, gurnard, flatties, anglerfish, monkfish, huge conger, other stuff too, its in county donegal, near where i live, next to dunfanaghy and creeslough.

Last edited:
Any good places around Cork ?

PS Huan, what does it look like here in winter ? Can you still see something through the water ? I've heard about winter storms ...

Last edited:
EVS

Cork , Haven't speared there much probably Bass around Clonakility/Barley cove/ballycotton and maybe further east , I would stay away from Cork harbour if I was you! plenty of good unpolluted places to dive on the coast without the worry of dissolving in chemical soup!!
Winter can be good for vis, less plankton but the storms don't do much for vis.

This sounds good, Thank you.
PS no temptation to get into the harbor, anyway... Mullets are huge down there, though ;)

Hi there,

I'm looking for any dive buddies to go spearing with around the coast of Ireland. I'm Dublin based myself but will travel to where I must in order to find the fish, bass preferably -- during the hunt and on the plate afterwards.

bit of background -- I'm 26yrs old and have been diving with a mask since the age of 9/10 and owned my first speargun at the age of 12 thanks to my Uncle in France who introduced me to the world of watersports and fishing/diving alongside my grandad and mother, who helped me find something I'm extremely passionate about to this day and have continued to pursue, mainly during the Summer months in France.

I catch fish regularly on my excursions which I am always willing to share and prepare should needs be :D

I'm looking to do a lot more diving here so if anyone's up for some fishing, drop me a line!

Hey Paddy,

i'm in Dublin also. just tried out my new picasso 5mm in sandycove yesterday after a long period out of the water.
P.M me if you wanna go diving mate!

Hi everybody.Sorry for my bad English
I am interesting about spearfishing rule and regulatory in Ireland
Can you show me location of clear lakes or rivers for spearfishing freshwater fish?

Vlad

In Ireland freshwater spearfishing is Illegal.
Unfortunately the enforcement of laws regarding spearfishing in freshwater are much more highly enforced.
I will put it like this, In the Sea no problem, Rivers and lakes you will be seen and reported and maybe arrested, If you are arrested your gear will be taken and you will go to court.
Please do not attempt to spearfish as you will give the rest of the spearo's a bad name.
I am not trying to scare you just inform you of the local customs.

Hi Huan,

I originally started this thread with a view to organising a trip in September past. The plan went wild as my co-spearo had to go to Za (difficult choice ;) ).

However - we plan to go next september so if you could give advice or even better join us and help the organisation - that would be Fab.

Cheers

Ben

Ben
No problems I can help if you need it.
just let me know when and where.

Huan

Thank you for information about freshwater spearfishing.
You saved me .This is not so bad for me, because I make
first steps in underwater photo. Will be screening only in the freshwater.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT