• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Irregular regular heartbeat.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It is an excellent thread i have learned manythings since i am facing similar cases!!! This has happend when i gone through syptoplasti opearation for my nose during the operation my heart beat went very low and they gave me three shocks going up to 360 jouls. When i wake up i saw the heart doctor and he told me that i have Aterial Febrillation which is a type of arrythmia honestly what i feel sometimes is that my heart beat is stronger and faster sometimes I feel like its going slower... So far i am spearfishing but not being able to hold enough my breath beacuse of my lungs since as was reported by doctor i am getting like 50% of them due to Ex heavy smoking!!! Sometimes while working out at gym or aerobics i am feeling fatigue... but the weard in this thing is that i went to 4 other doctors and they told me that i have nothing at all in my heart!!! it was regular...

It is kinda confusing but everything is fine and going on...

I find that some aerobics don't seem to suit me and my breathing pattern is all over, although I don't understand it. I tend to stick to an aerobic stepper now, manual step...cycling can cause a problem, especially in high winds, but jogging is definitely out, besides the knee won't take it...but for some reason, I can step at a high pace, but try running as in across a distance, and the breathing just goes haywire...maybe the apnea training might help in this, or I was just not using the correct breathing technique when doing jogging anyway, since I've recently found out that it should be similar to when walking; it could even have been that I was over-breathing, nothing would surprise me. :head

i have this illnes...my heart is fibrilating....some sort of heart arithmya...
it consist in period from 15 minutes to several hours when the heart has no ritm at all
i experiencing this for about 2 or 3 time a year...in rest my heart beats are normal...
i remember once that i had one stroke after doing scubadiving and freediving after [i was younger at that time and didn'n know about decompresion ilnes]
but i remember one day i woke-up in the morning and went to hospital in crysis, and after 4 hour of perffusion i left the hospital because next day the scuba team and me where about to live romania to hurgada...
in 7 days with free and scubadiving i felt very good and no problem has occured...
except that episod with free after scuba, i never experienced strokes neither before or after freediving....

Regarding my febrilation i can not feel it the doctor told me about it when i were in operation they saw it on the heart monitor... i been to many other doctors and they said you are fine and you have nothing... Sometimes some illness even with doctors can not be identified specially things related to nerves maybe some disorder in the nervous system due to some type of thought would lead my heart to do so!!! well this what i feel in my case... Wish all best for who are facing these problems... i will add to this the bronchites that i am having now and which will not stopping me from freediving :D it is in my blood

Great thread.

I was worried but i see that im not alone. Also having these arythmies on and off, specially after a static or pool session and pretty long after that. It's mostly disturbing and sometime annoying (while trying to sleep).

I pretty much started freediving and train specifically for FD last year and i noticed that since i started, the arythmies gone more often and possibly stronger. I had them before, while doing other "heavy" cardio-activities but not like this.

Since i feel great and healthy, i really don't consider this a problem. In fact, i feel better now freediving and all..

:)

5kgLifter, I am late on this thread but I believe I can shed some light on your condition. Often when your heart rate is slow (less than 60 bpm) the bottom part of your heart (ventricles) throw in an extra beat. It is part of the body’s compensatory mechanism to keep us going. They are often called escape beats and they differ from Premature Ventriclar Contractions (PVC), not so much in what they are but when they occur in the rhythm. The rhythm of thump, thump skip trigeminy and in the presence of a slow heart rate or moderate body cooling (a core temp of say 95 deg F. it is of less concern than if it were happening all the time with a heart rate above 60 bpm. It would not be out of the question to have a stress EKG done if you are over 50 or if you are having any symptoms with it.
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

...It makes you wonder if your friend had had an irregular heart beat for some years before it was detected, or whether it was a relatively new occurrence...and whether that would have made a difference.
Perhaps. He is a serious recreational lap swimmer & times & counts each lap in the pool. So, some physical stress as he tries to attain good times but he swims several times a week and has done so for decades, so he was used to the level of activity.

I'm not sure the heart re-starter was necessarily a good idea, it certainly messed up his swimming. His father had died suddenly and unexpectedly while jogging shortly before that and I suspect that was very much in his mind as he pursued this (he had private medical cover and max'd it out investigating this). But probably, one day, it will save his life - although I suspect not for several more decades (hopefully).

Reactions: Salehthefish
I have a question

My heartbeat increase when breathing in and decrease when breathing out. Not just a little but many heartbeats different. My doctor said it was "weird". I have later discovered that my dogs have the exact same thing. Their heart almost stops when exhaling.

Is this normal?

This is absolutely normal: the phenomenon is called the respiratory arrhythmia. In some persons it is more pronounced than in others, and the intensity of it can vary in one same person in time, depending on various circumstances. Thus, do not warry, everything is OK with your heart.
Radomir

I have a question

My heartbeat increase when breathing in and decrease when breathing out. Not just a little but many heartbeats different. My doctor said it was "weird". I have later discovered that my dogs have the exact same thing. Their heart almost stops when exhaling.

Is this normal?

This is absolutely normal. In fact, freedivers use this to there advantage by prolonging the exhalation phase of there breath up. play around with a ratio of 2:6 or 4:10 (2 count in 6 count out) and feel your pulse or watch it with a heart rate monitor (like a Polar watch type). To prove the theory, have your wife or a friend do the same thing and see if it happens top them.

5kgLifter, I am late on this thread but I believe I can shed some light on your condition. Often when your heart rate is slow (less than 60 bpm) the bottom part of your heart (ventricles) throw in an extra beat. It is part of the body’s compensatory mechanism to keep us going. They are often called escape beats and they differ from Premature Ventriclar Contractions (PVC), not so much in what they are but when they occur in the rhythm. The rhythm of thump, thump skip trigeminy and in the presence of a slow heart rate or moderate body cooling (a core temp of say 95 deg F. it is of less concern than if it were happening all the time with a heart rate above 60 bpm. It would not be out of the question to have a stress EKG done if you are over 50 or if you are having any symptoms with it.
Mike Grummell
Santa Rosa CA

Thanks for that.

I'm not over 50.
It's been happening ALL my life.

I personally, don't see a problem with it...since I would never have known, had I not been told.

As a paramedic who has done extra cardiac study at City University, London I would urge anyone with an unexplained irregular heart beat to have the problem investigated.

All athletes, regardless of ability/experience would benefit from a 12 lead ECG, this is a test that is becoming commonplace in all sports medical screening.

Feel free to PM me for any advice

Reactions: Sorandril
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT