• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is competitive static apnea on the way out?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Statics in competition.

Perhaps its just those that dont do well at it dont like it ?

Im faced this weekend with competing in the South - African National Championships, inland at 900m asl, and whilst i have supreme confidence and exitement about the dives the fun is spoilt for me by having to have to do statics.

I wish statics were not always coupled with Cb or dynamics and i was not forced to do a biathlon. I want to Cb dive and compete at that single discipline. Must a 100m sprinter be forced to do 1500m too ?

My family and non diving friends think statics are a bit of a Ripleys believe it or not', circus act. They have plenty respect for the Cb though.

still have a headache three weeks later from my PB of 4.12

:(

As pretty much a newcomer ( although I've been occasionally following freediving for 6 or 7 years since watching The Big Blue ) it was the actual act of static breath holding which grabbed my attention in the first place.I have always loved the sea,but the actual depth freedivers could attain interested me,but wasn't the be all and end all.Now things are different,the depth fascinates me,but i still love the idea of statics and I too hold my breath all over the place.I can see how its not freediving,but its closely related and I hope it stays in competitions.

Re: Statics in competition.

Originally posted by Skindiver
Perhaps its just those that dont do well at it dont like it ?

i have supreme confidence and exitement about the dives the fun is spoilt for me by having to have to do statics.

still have a headache three weeks later from my PB of 4.12

:(

uh...OK.:hmm

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT