• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is freediving related to tinnitus?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Is tinnitus correlated with diving for you?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Somewhat correlated

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Correlated

• Very correlated

• Total voters

alein

May 3, 2004
Here's something that sparked my curiosity, as a result of a recent thread. I am an occassional experiencer of tinnitus, but it doesn't seem to be correlated to my diving (very).

Freedivers and nondivers alike, do you find that your tinnitus is correlated with your diving? This means that if you dive a lot and have no tinnitus, or if you have tinnitus a lot but never dive, you should say "not at all". However, if you never dive and never have tinnitus, or dive a lot and get tinnitus a lot, then you should say "very". Then there are some fuzzy values too.

-Adam

Last edited:
I never had tinnitus except maybe from clubbing.
But, you can definitly get tinnitus from doing something wrong WHILE freediving. So for me it's like asking if swallowing water is related with freediving. :)
However, if you never dive and never have tinnitus, or dive a lot and get tinnitus a lot, then you should say "very".
By your definitions, someone who doesn't freedive and never broke a leg should conclude they are related:confused:. I think this poll is a bit pointless, sorry. :)

Flawed or not it is a really interesting question. Is there any connection?? More specifically, has anyone ever had bouts of tintinitus after freediving that led to damaging their ears.

Connor

Last edited:
yeah, but if there was a relationship it wouldn't be between diving and tinnitus. It would be between equalization technique and tinnitus.

Yes, I'm aware that correlation is not causation. However, causation is a much harder thing to test, and this medium is not suited for such an endeavor.

If you've never gone freediving and never been attacked by a tiger, then yes, those events are correlated, but not in an interesting way. Finding correlations is just one step... if it turns out that freediving and tinnitus are uncorrelated, then there's no point in looking for a causal relationship, is there?

Anyway, it's just a curiosity.

-Adam

My couisin had damaged hie ears while spearfishing in shallow water and now he has permanent tinnitius. Most of the good and experainced spero who had some ear problems due to diving has tinnitius as well. Doctors said that this happens when you damage your eardrum or nerves very inside of the ear, i guess:hmm

I bet most hardcore clubbers have tinnitus.
And my father has tinnitus from two wars he has been in.

Tinnitus is related to ear damage.
If you're doing something wrong while freediving, you can get it, but freediving is not the cause of this. It's very sad that people could be so insensitive to their bodies and get ear damage while freediving.

I go free diving, and I occasionally experience tinnitus, but I did so long before I ever went diving. Hence there is no correlation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT