• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is it true?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Okke

Oct 23, 2001
Hi all,

I've heard that there is a new discipline coming in APNEA "No Limits", but i don't know if it's true. The discipline is one big breath of air at 150 meters and then continue to aprox. 250 meters....
Is it a fairytale or is it indeed possible without having to decompress? Or how does the human body/brain react when you just take one breath of air at such depths (or any other depths)?
Please help me out...

:kingkke

hey

i think ive heard of pippin doing something of the sort an dnot having to decompress. I imagine there are alot more risks then only using the air you get at the surface.

i can imagine what would happen if you forgot to exhale on the way up "pop goes the weasel"......:naughty :D rofl

and i imagine that ya there would be ha higher level of nitrogen in the bloodstream thus a higher risk of dci

well it does sound cool

bye

Last edited:
I read about that (Pipin using air at depth), if I recall correctly he did it to experience going below 500 feet - not to try and set any record or trend.

David aka Cragrat
Ontario, Canada

Did you also read about how he dealt with the decompression?
Or did he just ignored it? Or is decompression with one breath of air not necessary ?

Well thanx for the replies!

:D kke

I'd assume he would comsume some of the oxygen on the way up then like a scuba diver let some trickle out as he ascended to prevent popping like a balloon. If he held his breath all the way to the surface I can't imagine he'd still be around after taking on air at depth.

David Nesbitt aka Cragrat
Ontario, Canada

Ok i can understand the part you have to breath out, or you will pop like a balloon. But dou you think you still have to go in decompression after you hit the surface safely? I'm just wondering what happens with the human body becuase if nothing will happen, why not take a spare-air for safety every freedive just in case of emergency...

Just curious...

:hmmkke

Pipin did this dive in Cabo San Lucas i think, a few years back. He took one breath from a bottle at around -250 feet, then resumed the ride to the bottom, which was deeper than 500', but not deeoer than what he has since done on one breath. I think he was trying to be creative with depth attempts,but the problem with this demonstration was thit it really is just technical scubadiving with a twist. i'm not saying it wasn't spectacular, or that it didn't take great ability, but it's not freediving.
I don't know what the gas mix in the bottle was, but it is unlikeluy that it was air. I would suspect that it may have been around 12% O2 and a remaining balance of Nitrogen and Helium. One breath of air at the surface becomes toxic at depths over 220', and freedivers are beginning to have to deal with that; ask Fattah or Loic about that. 2 breaths of air would be extremely toxic at 500', so I'm curious as to what he was breathing.
Obviously the deco and gas tables were worked out so that Pipin could make a direct ascent to the surface without problems. I think Kirk Krack was in on that.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I'm quite good mates with a tech diver and he told me about a technique they use at moderate depths for an emergency ascent. Instead of blowing out to reduce lung volume he just opens his airway and lets the expanding gas escape of its own accord. This would certainly allow you to conserve the maximum amount of air and I guess the O2 expands to increase your supply and reduce chances of swb - but I'm no expert?? The only problem is that it's definitely not an easy technique and something you can't afford to get wrong - personally I'll stick to what little I know! :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT