• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is it worth it to put a reel on a 75cm gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Currently Fishing, I use reel on my 75cm gun. My gun has two bands, enclosed track and 7mm shaft. There are tons of smarties here who will have a lot to say about this, but I arrived to this combo over time, from trial and error.

By all means you can put the reel, though honestly not to the gun you pictured. That one seem to be made for one band, second band will wreck the trigger group. And with one band, it will not have enough power to spear fish big enough that you will have trouble taking to the surface.

I fish in kelp and in strong currents. To me float is a real entanglement concern, I have it but I don’t take it with me 90% of the time. Beauty of reel is that you will not be dragging it behind whether you see big fish or not. But when needed reel can be put to use with just a quarter turn on the friction nut.

Well I guess I said contrary to about everything that has been said in previous posts.

Currently Fishing, I use reel on my 75cm gun. My gun has two bands, enclosed track and 7mm shaft. There are tons of smarties here who will have a lot to say about this, but I arrived to this combo over time, from trial and error.

By all means you can put the reel, though honestly not to the gun you pictured. That one seem to be made for one band, second band will wreck the trigger group. And with one band, it will not have enough power to spear fish big enough that you will have trouble taking to the surface.

I fish in kelp and in strong currents. To me float is a real entanglement concern, I have it but I don’t take it with me 90% of the time. Beauty of reel is that you will not be dragging it behind whether you see big fish or not. But when needed reel can be put to use with just a quarter turn on the friction nut.

Well I guess I said contrary to about everything that has been said in previous posts.
hey man, every one works with what works for them.

For now I won't put a reel since I still can't go too deep and I'm not diving into caves or kelp (just yet).

I have a reel on the MVD gun I have. It came with the reel as default. I played with the idea to remove it, but I mostly fish at a west coast, with west wind, which means the float is in the rocks all the time which is highly annoying. So instead when I'm working close to the rocks in places where it's deep, I anchor my float and unclip my gun from it and I figured in such situation a reel is better than no reel as otherwise it would be a lost gun really fast.

Where in Greece are you CurrentlyFishing?

One of the smarties would like to know what advantege do you get from an enclosed track in sich a short gun. Seriously. :)

I have a reel on the MVD gun I have. It came with the reel as default. I played with the idea to remove it, but I mostly fish at a west coast, with west wind, which means the float is in the rocks all the time which is highly annoying. So instead when I'm working close to the rocks in places where it's deep, I anchor my float and unclip my gun from it and I figured in such situation a reel is better than no reel as otherwise it would be a lost gun really fast.

Where in Greece are you CurrentlyFishing?
Perama, right across from Salamina

One of the smarties would like to know what advantege do you get from an enclosed track in sich a short gun. Seriously. :)
I don’t know if there is a need for another round of arguments. Accuracy and ease (speed) of loading. Both result in productivity. Ease of loading is immediately noticeable. I can shoot and reload and get another fish while you mess with wraps on your gun. Short gun, long gun, I can see where this argument will go. I need more power from short gun. 6.5mm shaft flexes, being it 130cm or 160cm, to different degree but it does. If you shoot tuna you wouldn’t even know the difference. I fish smaller fish, and also need smaller gun. Which also means no overhang. The whole need for longer overhang is yet another can of worms. And we haven’t spoken about metal wishbones, because I have them too, on that same gun and for the same reason.

Reactions: Leander
I don’t know if there is a need for another round of arguments. Accuracy and ease (speed) of loading. Both result in productivity. Ease of loading is immediately noticeable. I can shoot and reload and get another fish while you mess with wraps on your gun. Short gun, long gun, I can see where this argument will go. I need more power from short gun. 6.5mm shaft flexes, being it 130cm or 160cm, to different degree but it does. If you shoot tuna you wouldn’t even know the difference. I fish smaller fish, and also need smaller gun. Which also means no overhang. The whole need for longer overhang is yet another can of worms. And we haven’t spoken about metal wishbones, because I have them too, on that same gun and for the same reason.
Well, I usually use a pneumatic gun, so all this fast loading/wraps/thin shaft/more power/long overhang argument is not valid anymore. But I got your point.

However, you can't use your gun if the shaft is slightly bent.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
However, you can't use your gun if the shaft is slightly bent.
You can. My spear is soft as spaghetti. I got used to it. I finally ordered a new spear, hoping it'll arrive without any bends, so perhaps when I'm back in the water in two months from now I will parrot your comment. :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Yeah, for now the most I can go is about 5m down, so yes I'm working on breathhold, but more than anything I'm working on hunting technic. I'm in Greece btw (originally from Puerto Rico).

Now that you mention the dual band... my gun has a closed muzzle.. Been thinking about putting a second band, since it has the loop to use it.. good idea or nah?
Not great idea, too much stress in the equipment, much more time to load, to much trouble to unload one of the bands, when need, or risk to bend the shaft if you don't have time to unload, the aiming will change by a lot.

Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT