• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is my knife long enough?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Krakenlims

PADI master freediving instructor
May 7, 2010
So I'm from UK, off to Gilli Islands Indonesia and i will be spear fishing on my days off…
My current knife is a stiletto style Omer with a humble 8.5cm / 3.5 inches long blade...
I've shot larger game fish in South Africa but used someone else's larger knife...
Will my short Omer knife be long enough to kill larger game fish?
Do I need a new longer knife?
Cheers

In most cases fish brains sit quite shallow and even on big fish should be should be accessible with a 8cm blade. If you are really struggling to dispatch the fish via braining to the top you can always go in via the gills, this is also sometimes a better option when the fish has a hard plated or very bony head.

The problem with longer knives, on smaller fish there is always a chance of pushing the knife right through the fish and if you are holding the fish towards your body into yourself.

I prefer to go for a smaller more compact knife, but as with most spearfishing kit it's really up to what you prefer and feel comfortable with.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question - it is something I have wondered about too. I expect the knife would be long enough but would it be strong enough/optimal?

Another option occurs to me: an iki jimi spike. Rob Allen make a v. nice looking one, pricey though. Alternatively, the long tri-cut spike on Rob Allen's stringers (which are quite large & heavy duty) makes a darn good iki-jimi spike too (no handle but quite long) - as well as a first class float stringer.

You could make your own: I generally use one of those red thermo-plastic chainsaw file handles (cost: £1) for the handle, an awl spike & then make a sheath/holder from a piece of car antenna tubing (flattened & drilled at one end) & some thin bungee rubber to secure everything together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jegwan
yea actually the strength of the knife might be an issue, it is a fragile knife, not to be used for anything except killing fish i was told in shop, so i hope it doesn't break, i have heard you can just rip the gills out and that kills the fish?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT