• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is nose breathing better than mouth breathing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes, you're right. However, there are only two studies that focused on performance during breath hold. This is a different story than "normal" exercise.

There is more use of beetroot juice in sport, at least here in the UK from the little I know. I've seen quite a few references in the past year from the BBC to athletics sites etc and it has definitely made its way into freediving - I know freedivers that are now having it regularly.

There is a company called BEET IT that I suspect are pretty good at PR as I've seen articles on this on the BBC etc. I think they gave some beetroot juice to high profile teams like te national rugby team etc, as well as to divers (who were apparently able to hold their breath by 11% more if my memory serves me right).

Anyway back to nasal breathing - as I mentioned I don't think many people doubt that there are many benefits (in fact in the freediving courses I attended at least they were mentioned) but for all practical purposes, it's impractical for any real world freediving because of the equipment.

I think you are better off accepting that you will have to breathe in through the mouth when freediving and practicing that rather than getting used to a routine based on nasal breathing when doing dry holds and then not feeling as comfortable when diving.

In addition, while all this is interesting scientifically and for discussion's sake, I really would be a bit careful not to let these things develop into any mental barriers (eg I haven't had my beetroot juice so I won't be able to do a good hold etc) because they will put doubts in your mind every time preparation doesn't go 100% to plan or conditions are less than ideal (which is a lot of the time).

Simos, I can only agree. Good points. Thanks.

Mullins, if you respect Stig, don't you think he would only refer to this research group if they had a point?

So, if you don't trust people who mention the bible, maybe you'll trust one of the best freedivers in the world.

Same goes for you too as Mullins is also one of the best freedivers in the world and a world record holder so I think he's done alright for someone who breathes through the mouth :t admittedly he does have 3 pairs of lungs though rofl

I never said or indicated I don't trust him. And I never said breathing through the mouth doesn't work. I though this was the scientific part of the forum. :/

on first attempt- without the fears put into me concerning the apparent dangers of apnea i had no problem just swimming around like a fish. My o2 level demand increased ONLY with this seed of fear. I will start the beet juice experiment tomorrow morning and keep you all posted with times. My best is only 3 minutes dry but longer wet in the sea to the point where it could be quite easy to forget that as a human I do actually need to take a breath. Watch this spot :(

Mullins, if you respect Stig, don't you think he would only refer to this research group if they had a point?

Not particularly, he's just citing their study. Remember it's that "10-15% higher oxidation" figure I find a bit silly. On its own like that it's essentially meaningless and probably misleading.

I promise! An update for you which will be made up without bias using the info given. I am not a competition level athlete so it should be interesting to see how much this works. At the moment I only have relaxation, enjoyment and meditation as my tools xxx

I promise! An update for you which will be made up without bias using the info given. I am not a competition level athlete so it should be interesting to see how much this works. At the moment I only have relaxation, enjoyment and meditation as my tools xxx

You will improve anyway if You keep training.

I always find this studies funny, "10% increace in performance etc."

Freediving is such a mental sport and for instance my performance sometimes varies 10-20% depends of the day and it's usually caused by psychologic factors. Mullins described it well in another topic.

edit: After reading this studies I came to conclusion that we may consider taking recovery breathing through our nose after maximum performance :)

Last edited:
I tried static and dynamic apnea while on beetroot juice ... couldn't conclude anything besides a small discomfort from having a bit more fluid in my stomach ... :p
Does someone have any experience with it ?

"The results suggest that acute dietary NO3− supplementation may increase apneic duration by reducing metabolic costs." (Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology
Volume 182, Issues 2–3, 1 July 2012, Pages 53–59)

I tried static and dynamic apnea while on beetroot juice ... couldn't conclude anything besides a small discomfort from having a bit more fluid in my stomach ... :p
Does someone have any experience with it ?

"The results suggest that acute dietary NO3− supplementation may increase apneic duration by reducing metabolic costs." (Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology
Volume 182, Issues 2–3, 1 July 2012, Pages 53–59)

I know there were studies 'proving' longer holds etc but I am a bit dubious. In my naive view of the world beetroot is a vasodilator and that surely can't be good for freediving, right? Perhaps it would be good for a marathon! Lol

(there are also some positive effects but how can one say what the net result would be...)

I know there were studies 'proving' longer holds etc but I am a bit dubious. In my naive view of the world beetroot is a vasodilator and that surely can't be good for freediving, right? Perhaps it would be good for a marathon! Lol

(there are also some positive effects but how can one say what the net result would be...)

Indeed Simos! But still, maybe it's a miracle dietary supplement ;-)
Here's a interesting ref:
Larsen FJ, Ekblom B, Lundberg JO, Weitzberg E. Effects of dietary nitrate on oxygen cost during exercise. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 191: 59–66, 2007.

After reading this thread I'm wondering why Nitrogen-oxide is being produced in the nose? How, why, where - does it come from?

It is produced in large amounts by epithelium of the paranasal sinuses. NO has potent antibacterial properties so it is likely that its purpose is to sterilize the sinuses which prevents infections.

I'm wondering how your nose can produce enough NO in each single breath to make much difference. I mean, an inhale is just s few seconds and you are passing 4 or 5 liters of air through your nose during that short period - how much NO can really be delivered in such a short period to such a large volume. Or is it that a very tiny amount of NO still has great benefit?

NO has high biological activity, as few as 10-100 ppb (parts per billion) of this gas in the inhaled air are enough to induce significant effects on lung circulation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT