• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is physical activity during apnea aerobic or anaerobic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kodama

Jun 20, 2016
Has this question been answered yet?
On page 438 of Manual of Freediving by Umberto Pelizzari and Stefano Tovaglieri I read the following questions:
" A question that remains unanswered today concerns the energetic mechanisms that sustain physical activity while immersed in apnea. Is it mostly aerobic or anaerobic? What is the energy expense of a static, dynamic, CW or variable weight dive? ... theories are many. "

My copy dates from 2016 but I was hoping that some experienced freedivers could share their opinion. Apparently there are many theories but what are they and where can we find them?
Is there a consensus lately ?

Sent from the abyss

Over the length of the dive it shifts from mostly aerobic to mostly anaerobic, although there is going to be some individual variance from diver to diver and even from dive to dive.

Over the length of the dive it shifts from mostly aerobic to mostly anaerobic, although there is going to be some individual variance from diver to diver and even from dive to dive.
Thank you for your answer ninja.
I can see how that would relate to the depletion of O2 during the dive. However I would like to understand the underlying mechanics to either stage and if it shifts, when does it do so and why.

The reason why I like to understand these things better is to implement that knowledge in my training schedule. For instance do you have certain periods in your phasic training that you devote to aerobic or anaerobic performance.

We have two questions now so answers to both are welcome.

The underlying mechanics of the shift = educate yourself on dive response triggers and adaptations
Yes, for phasic training I start with a good aerobic base and as I get closer to target dates the training becomes more anaerobic, although never exclusively one or the other. Some aerobic training should always be some part of freedive training because it accelerates muscle recovery.

The underlying mechanics of the shift = educate yourself on dive response triggers and adaptations
Yes, for phasic training I start with a good aerobic base and as I get closer to target dates the training becomes more anaerobic, although never exclusively one or the other. Some aerobic training should always be some part of freedive training because it accelerates muscle recovery.
Thanks again that confirms what I was thinking regarding training.

If I understand correctly after vasoconstriction, bloodshift and spleen effect it shifts to mainly anaerobic?

Yes, there are articles and explanations out there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have no formal education in the subject but in my late thirty's (forty years ago), bicycle racing took over my life for 7 years. In the old books they referred to three forms of power in humans. Aerobic, anaerobic and instant. Aerobic power measured 5/8 horsepower maximum for over thirty minutes. Anaerobic power was capable of more but depending on the level could only be used for six or seven down to less that one minute. Instant power was almost 2 hp but only for 5-10 seconds. Constant ballast probably combines all three. I'm not sure about my old memory so don't quote me.

I have no formal education in the subject but in my late thirty's (forty years ago), bicycle racing took over my life for 7 years. In the old books they referred to three forms of power in humans. Aerobic, anaerobic and instant. Aerobic power measured 5/8 horsepower maximum for over thirty minutes. Anaerobic power was capable of more but depending on the level could only be used for six or seven down to less that one minute. Instant power was almost 2 hp but only for 5-10 seconds. Constant ballast probably combines all three. I'm not sure about my old memory so don't quote me.
We have fewer studies involving apnea but I am pretty sure the 'time' calculations of traditional exercise physio don't apply 1:1 to diving due to dive response, and I feel like for the slower relaxed movements at depth which we know can be highly anaerobic, the muscle fibers are not all firing at once as the would be for 'instant anearobic power' in the traditional sense. A graph of the various energy systems that come into play is a bit of a smear; there isn't a point where something suddenly becomes 100% ATP etc... my physio knowledge is self serving, someone will probably dig up one of the better articles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill and Kodama
Any activity is using all three systems simultaneously (generally speaking). But dependent on the length of time and exertion required the main system will vary.

In freediving we'd mostly be using the anaerobic lactic (glycolytic) and a little aerobic system, with some minor use of anaerobic a-lactic (atp-cp) at the start of our dive.

Of the anaerobic lactic systems we'd be using something called 'slow glycolysis' which creates longer lasting energy provided we aren't working too hard.

Only my take on it, I'm a PT so I know a little bit about energy systems but I'd wager there's more to it. I feel like the MDR would have an effect on energy systems, as it does most things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill and Kodama
A personal trainer. I'm qualified, I have cert. 3 & 4 in health and fitness (qualifications to be a PT vary from country to country, and in some places aren't necessary at all, but in Australia you do have to study for it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT