• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is that how blackout feels?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CosmoDrama

Jan 30, 2016
Hi guys, I used to do some entry-level freediving when I was a kid. Well, now I'm 27, didn't train since then. I went to 25m swimming pool tonight and tried doing some laps underwater. I went for first 25m very calm and nice, turned, kicked the wall and begun doing another 25m. All fine, I reached end of the ramp on the bottom - 37.5m mark. Next thing I remember is kind of unreal. It felt like sleeping and being in some dream. My body was shaking, I didn't feel any pain, I didn't feel I needed to breath. It lasted for some time. Hard to describe, but it was very not coherent. Dreams are usually like that - you figure out you are somewhere and you have no idea how you managed to get there and what actually happens. That's how it felt, no anchor to reality. My subconsciousness somehow pulled me out of water next to 50m wall and only after around 2-3 seconds I started getting back to real world. Then I felt I had little bit of water in my mouth or larynx, but only some, maybe table spoon or two. I couldn't just start breathing normally, something was not working. Like my throat was clogged. I was really calm, just taking my time slowly. 10-15 seconds later it was ok. Whole thing was very weird. Shaking was kind of uncomortable, but not painful. I think it wasn't my diaphragm shaking, but legs and arms. I don't remember swimming last 12.5m. Is that how blackout feels?

U should never do it by urself!!! U r just damn lucky u can write now about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Saltylake
Actually you didn't blackout but you were extremely close to it. These strange unreal feelings as well as shaking (it's called samba) were caused by severe hypoxia. If it was a blackout you would be found on the bottom of the pool. You are lucky you're alive. You surfaced only because you reached the wall of the pool. If it was 5m further you would loose consciousness under water. You should NEVER dive without supervision!

Reactions: Saltylake
You're very lucky to be alive. There is a disconnect of memory when you black out, or are knocked out and maybe when you fall asleep. The memory from the last 7-8 seconds doesn't get stored. What probably happened is you went for the wall and blacked out after grabbing hold. One lucky fellow. The dream as you gain consciousness is 'normal'.

Shit! To be honest I never push boundaries. It was going so well, I thought that wouldn't be such a big deal to finish the 50m. I didn't hyperventilate, it all seemed very ok. Well, won't happen again. Thanks for your responses guys.

Shit! To be honest I never push boundaries. It was going so well, I thought that wouldn't be such a big deal to finish the 50m. I didn't hyperventilate, it all seemed very ok. Well, won't happen again. Thanks for your responses guys.
What breath up technique are you using? I am completely new to freediving and was surprised to find out that I had been hyperventalating in my dry statics with deliberate slow breathing.

Hi guys, I used to do some entry-level freediving when I was a kid. Well, now I'm 27, didn't train since then. I went to 25m swimming pool tonight and tried doing some laps underwater. I went for first 25m very calm and nice, turned, kicked the wall and begun doing another 25m. All fine, I reached end of the ramp on the bottom - 37.5m mark. Next thing I remember is kind of unreal. It felt like sleeping and being in some dream. My body was shaking, I didn't feel any pain, I didn't feel I needed to breath. It lasted for some time. Hard to describe, but it was very not coherent. Dreams are usually like that - you figure out you are somewhere and you have no idea how you managed to get there and what actually happens. That's how it felt, no anchor to reality. My subconsciousness somehow pulled me out of water next to 50m wall and only after around 2-3 seconds I started getting back to real world. Then I felt I had little bit of water in my mouth or larynx, but only some, maybe table spoon or two. I couldn't just start breathing normally, something was not working. Like my throat was clogged. I was really calm, just taking my time slowly. 10-15 seconds later it was ok. Whole thing was very weird. Shaking was kind of uncomortable, but not painful. I think it wasn't my diaphragm shaking, but legs and arms. I don't remember swimming last 12.5m. Is that how blackout feels?
Learn to know your bodies fits!
Everyone is different but I find 4 to 5 twitches then I have to go up soon as they stop!
I can push it 2 minutes after that but last time I did that I woke up after my buddy pulled my head out of water!!!
Besides spearfishing I take my time n go up for a breath n dive down that way if I need time once I shoot I can push myself a little!

I'm 62 and have a wear and tear back pain problem. This resulted (in the past) in severe cramps. Over the years I found that especially cold weather while canoe camping again caused cramps during the night, when muscles are relaxed. I've just joined this forum as I'd like to try spearfishing but after reading this thread but nowl I'm not so sure anymore. Plus the thought that holding your breath may decrease blood oxygen levels thus resulting in yet more cramps? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Actually you have to hold your breath a long time before O2 starts to drop much. In a typical real-world recreational breath-hold dive you will resurface long before O2 drops.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT