• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is there a way to dye/stain fiberglass?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzz

Hawaiian transplant...
Sep 9, 2002
I don't like the yellow of my Matrix/waterway fins... :(

I dont think that there is a way to die the fins after they have already been produced. However I have spray painted my fins with regular spray paint from walmart. I chose to use a flat black color so it would not reflect light. I didnt spray the whole fin. I just sprayed lines with no real pattern to it. I just sprayed it to break up the image of the fin.
I must have done a pretty good job because my friends cant see me when Im lying down on the bottom. The only thing that they see is my gun or my tagline. (I have the old omer mimetic wetsuit). Although sometimes my friends still dont see me with my float above me. and they seem to dive right by me scaring the fish away.

Reactions: MsVitaminSea
Oh yeah the paint stays on for a pretty long time. I havent resprayed it for the last year and its been fine. If it starts to come off I could always just touch it up. But it seems to work fine.

Sounds like a question for the Specialfins boys. However, I think they do their staining while the resin is still....er.....not solid (I don't know what I'm talking about :) ). I'd drop Jyri an email. He's always been really good about getting back to me.

As for spraypaint options. I've never tried any sprays on fins. Krylon Fusion, however, is designed to adhere to smooth surfaces. I've used it on plastic and glass, and it holds true. You can grab a can at Wallyworld for 4 bucks. No guarantees though, fuzz ;).

Ted

Thanks to both of you for your input.

I remember people in Hawaii airbrushing their fins, but it appears to be scratched off pretty easily. I'll try some krylon... or there's a type of automotive paint at Walmart that I've seen people use that is a little more wear resistant.

I'd imagine that the flexing of the blades wouldn't help much either...

Just thought of something - for my floatlines, I use RIT dye & just soak them in there. The dye permeates the material & stains it. I know fiberglass is a totally different material, but do you think it would stain the same way or repel the dye?

www.vain.com

If the pigment is not in the resin, it's not going to be in the laminate. Short of adding a flex agent to the sprayed enamel, get used to the yellow cast of the Matrix fins.

I'm not vain, the fins just don't match my weightbelt & ...

yeah, I'm vain :(

Guys, we're looking at options to offer colored fins, so far in blue and black, no camo yet.

For those of you that have fins, you might try breaking the gloss (especially on the top) with LIGHT sanding of 220 or finer sandpaper, clean with acetone, and EPOXY (which is a lot more durable) paint of your choice.

Paul V.

Hi Paul, let me know when you guys get some new blades in.

Are they going to be colored like Dennis's old black pair or something different?

They'll be painted blades, so it will scratch off if you try hard enough. We're also working on some other blade designs, but the details are TOP SECRET for now.

do you have found a way to paint permanent fins ?
I like to paint my blue sebak (Specialfins) Monofin in BLACK

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT