• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is this watch good for measuring depth?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

geo909

Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

I am about to buy a sports watch. I'm quite on a budget and it is not
necessarily oriented to be a freediving watch (well, I guess with this
price range I don't have the option) but it would be nice if I could at
least have a countdown timer and be able to measure the depth along
with the standard sports stuff (stopwatch, waterproof etc).

For around $50 (my price range) I can get this: [ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Casio-Sensor-Multi-Function-Sport-SGW300H-1AVCF/dp/B003URSHKA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361892154&sr=8-8"]Casio Men's Twin Sensor Multi-Function Sport Watch Grey SGW300H-1AVCF: Casio: Amazon.ca: Watches@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513XsZgbFdL.@@AMEPARAM@@513XsZgbFdL[/ame]

My question is: can the barometer be used to measure depth? I did
google around but somehow I could not find the answer. Wikipedia
says that barometers are used to measure atmospheric pressure, so
it seems to me that this is enough?

Last edited:
I'm no more of an authority than you, but I'd say not, especially as the overview states that it updates the pressure every 2 hours - how good is your apnea?

How about?

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-Mens-PROMASTER-AQUALAND-Tutone-Diver-Watch-200M-/121072705831?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c307ee127]Citizen Mens Promaster Aqualand Tutone Diver Watch 200M | eBay[/ame]

I'm no more of an authority than you, but I'd say not, especially as the overview states that it updates the pressure every 2 hours - how good is your apnea?

Ok that settles it.. I'm pretty sure that I did less than
2 hours the last time I timed myself :)

That's interesting.. I think I should go with something like that
the price is pretty reasonable..

There is also a slightly less fancy (yet much cheaper) option!
Diving Depth Gauge

I was going to suggest a depth gauge, but it is nice to have time and depth in one.

I would definitely spend the little extra money and get the watch martin suggested. I guess you won't get a cheaper one.

see specs

Or wait and collect some money then buy Aeris F10v2 :)

Ah.. So many nice toys out there! I'll keep that suggestion for
later.. I'm a beginner so I'd spend that amount to some basic
gear like fins or a better wetsuit.. Thanks!

Reactions: vali

a good decision!!!
the fins and wetsuit are far more important than the wach or computer...
think like this: if your buddy-freedivier has a diving computer, he can give it to you for some better diving [because you allready have a better gear :D ]...and after that you give him the computer back!

Last edited:
a good decision!!!
the fins and wetsiut are far more important than the wach or computer...
think like this: if your buddy-freedivier has a diving computer, he can give it to you for some better diving [befcause you allready habe a better gear :D ]...and after that you give him the computer back!

Good point!! Now I have to find a buddy with a good
diving computer :)

Thing is, if you buy a better watch you'll be able to sell it for less loss if you decide to sell it, if you buy a bad watch you probably won't be able to resell it when you want to upgrade.

I bought a used suunto D4 on ebay for under 200€ with shipping and a new battery + oring in a local store.

I would scan ebay for used suunto D4 or D3. And those are watches that you probably won't need to upgrade for quite some years (unless something breaks).

Thing is, if you buy a better watch you'll be able to sell it for less loss if you decide to sell it, if you buy a bad watch you probably won't be able to resell it when you want to upgrade.

I bought a used suunto D4 on ebay for under 200€ with shipping and a new battery + oring in a local store.

I would scan ebay for used suunto D4 or D3. And those are watches that you probably won't need to upgrade for quite some years (unless something breaks).

Following the above discussions I decided to skip the diving watch hunt.
I ordered a $50 g-shock which is confirmed to be water resistant down
there, so that I have the time and a couple of features like countdown
timer and stopwatch. Later on I'll invest on some good quality diving watch
or computer like the ones you guys suggested; maybe I'll go with a new
one rather than a used as I am a little afraid to take a risk.. We'll see,
I will probably start bugging people in this forum when the time comes!

For now I will use the DIY diving depth gauge described in that instructable
(I will, really!). I'm a beginner so I don't care about too much precision.

Diving Depth Gauge

Last edited:
a good and cheap diving computer is mares puk
I myself have a mares nemo excel...this is not so cheap but have nitrox, air and freediving functions [three in one computer]

Around $200, eh? Not bad at all.. This is also going to
my list! What are the freediving functions that the
excel has that the simpler version does not?

nemo excel have all the freediving function [including a vaste logbook]
i don't know about mares puck, but i guess he has the same...
you must see some reviews or something...
however, if you want to use the computer also as watch during non-diving time, you must know that the batteries will die within a year or so...
the excel can be used on the wrist as a wach, beeing so estethic...the puck however is not designed to be used as watch [not so watch-aspect]

Reactions: freediver7
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT