• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

island diving magic!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sharkman

Apr 5, 2001
Hi all,
Just thought I'd post a story from a recent spearing trip on an island just off where I live.
The weather had been good for a few days so I gave a mate a call and organized to do a point dive at one of my drop-off spots on the island. The spot is known for heaps of baitfish and good pelagics.I've seen big Giant Trevally up to 20kilo's and Spanish Mackerel here. It is also very rocky and has ledges and caves everywhere.
We jumped in the water and swam out to the point. The viz was great for still pretty close inshore, at 25ft+ and I was all pumped up ready for action. We swam around the point and down to where the drop-off was. There was good bait schools everywhere and heaps of parrotfish and other fish cruising around.
We arrived at the spot and I made a dive off the drop-off edge. It's not that deep, only 30-35ft, but on the bottom there is a huge overhung ledge that usually holds good fish. I looked under the ledge and there was nothing there. I then looked wide straight in front of me on the sand and there was a good sized Coral Trout of 3-4kilo's. I lined him up and he spooked and then swam straight back up to me head on showing his teeth. I took the shot and hit him mid body as he turned. He went beserk tring to drag the spear under the ledge!!!:naughty I had to go after him as he thrashed about trying to tear his way off the spear. I managed to grab him in the gills and drag him to the surface. I reached the surface and I was stuffed!!! I was realled stoked and yelled out to my mate who was on his way over to see what all the commotion was about.
I put him in my bag and reloaded my gun. It wasn't even 5 mins later that I saw a good size Mangrove Jack of about 2-2.5kilo's swim under me going into a cave. I dropped on him and took a shot which hit him in the gills. He went berko but the shot was solid and I had him in the bag within no time.
Now I was really stoked and it was getting late in the arvo, so we decided to swim back to the beach. On the way I saw a good sized White Tip Reef shark of about 6-7ft in length and a juvenile Maori Wrasse. I also saw a big Maori Sea Perch of around 6kilo's earlier in the arvo.
All in all in was a great arvo spearing and I hope you all like the story!!!
safe diving,
Sharkman
:ko

Attachments

• golden trevally (arthur bay).jpg
    golden trevally (arthur bay).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 411
hi Dude

Where abouts in qld are you im from Wonga beach a place about 100km north of Cairns.

cheers

Hi Ivan...

I live in Townsville and dive around Magnetic Island and out the Reef. I'm a member of the Townsville skindiving Club and we get out the reef about once a month. Good to hear from another spearo up here in North Queensland. Cheers,
Brendan..:)

Reactions: ivan
hi

Yeah same to you your the first guy I can think of from up our way pitty you dont live in Cairns, townsvilles a bit far.

cheers

Hello Shark,

That is one yummy size you got. I thought they call it Golden Trevaly in Aussie ??

hi

Iya yeah that is a Golden trevally, the only trevally that I might eat.

cheers

Hi Guys

Hi Guys,
Yeah Iya it's a Golden Trevally, they're probably the only trevally I'd eat, but still not a real top eating fish. They pull bloody hard but!!! That one weighed in at about 8kilo's and towed me around for a while.
Ivan if keen to join a club, there is a skindiving club in Cairns. They call themselves Cairns Underwater Association and I think the president's is a guy called Mark Richards. His phone number is (07) 40352520 and this is is home number. If you're interested give him a call and have a chat to him. Since I've joined the Townsville club my spearing has improved out of sight and I've made some great friends from all around Australia.
Take it easy and safe diving.
Brendan................ :martial

hi

Nah guys never been keen on competing, and thats the way it will stay. I prefer to fish for Doggies and other pelagics without the stress of competing or getting to a weigh in on time.

cheers

These days the AUF is more about protecting spearos rights and education.

Its nice to have an organisation that looks after our interests.:)

hi

Yeah I briefly checked over Adam Smiths thing on the AUF on the aussie site might look into it a bit more.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT