• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

it is a struggle.....help !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

johnny

Jan 10, 2005
i have the passion and the instinct, but just not so succesful Yet!!!

can anybody give me some info on Mediterranean spearfishing. i live in the costabrava Spain. i have good fins and a 75 speargun.

i just started spearfishing and looking to catch some decent size fish, i go with some friends who are not fishing, they freedive around me but not to close. You think they are too noisy? or maybe i am.

i look in holes, i do small waits and slow glides but still no luck.

They sense me way to early i think and then they are gone.....

thanks.

Hi Johnny

Just patience buddy. Dive, stay still and wait. Do'nt wait too long !!! Take it easy in the beginning. It's no good 'gliding' after fish, or looking into caves, the fish will always run and hide when they see movement. As soon as you stop and lie very still, even outside a cave, then they will eventually swim slowly over to see you. Just remember buddy, DONT STAY DOWN TOO LONG !!!! BE TOO CAREFUL IN THE BEGINNING AND ALWAYS HAVE A BUDDY WATCH YOU.

Good luck.

Jeff

excellant jeff,

they are sound words, i will try that today, i think i lack a little patients. My buddy what does he do, stay real quiet on the surface? i imagine we must be real quiet always too.

i always go off a little on my own, just looking around. wont do that anymore.

thanks johnny.

jon
dont worry one day u will do
nothing happens sudenly
..need time...........
need love the sea...
need love diving...
need experience
take care

Hey - the buddy stays still on the surface and makes sure you come up ok.

What I would do is go out without a gun and spot fish - just become familiar with the way they behave in relation to you.

Aspetto (a small one with a buddy watching...) on the bottom and the fish will come....

start with the easiest style, shoot the ones in the caves but not too deep and not too big groupers...if you have not have someone experianced with you..

It is a struggle......it takes time, moreso for some than others! Like anything really. If you have no patience though, you will not reap the beautiful rewards that will await you further down the road, along your journey. Learn patience, appreciate the diving and in time you will begin to see and eventually land those elusive fish that you are after! Good luck :)

The best advise I can give you is go in the water as much as possible, this way you will learn about your envirement and how the fish react... It just takes time.... You have to be patient and learn of your mistakes.. When I started spearfishing I also did it alone and had no one to correct so I just went in as much as possible and the thing that really helps for me is to watch spearfishing movies and read about techniques in magazine...

Butt verry important always dive with a buddy... I made the mistake when i was younger of going out alone...

Good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT