• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Italian South African Freediver/Spearfisherman/Advanced Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

italiansaffer

Mar 21, 2023
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully meet some likeminded people at the same time.

I'm a 27yo male, born and bred in South Africa but living in Europe (mainly Italy/Switzerland) for the duration of the year. I'm an Italian citizen so travel around Europe is no problem for me.

I work remotely and have a deep love for the ocean. I have been snorkeling and freediving since a child but recently started taking it a bit more 'seriously' and got certified as an Advanced Scuba diver in 2022 as well as learning from a freediving instructor how to safely freedive and spearfish in and around the Western Cape of South Africa.

Will be spending summer in and around Italy and I was hoping to find some people to either go spearfishing, freediving, or scuba diving with. I left all my equipment in South Africa, so I will need to rent (or buy) some equipment while I am here, which I have no problem doing.

The best time for me will be between June - mid August, when I will be permanently stationed in Italy and will be looking to hit the sea as much as possible. I will not list some of the things that I have in mind, but I would love to know if there are better ideas or (preferably) if I would be so lucky to join some of you awesome people on a trip.

1. Spearfishing & freediving - would LOVE to go spearfishing in the Mediterranean, this is something I really want to do after falling in love with spearing in South Africa. I am a strong swimmer but I don't like to push depths below 18m just because my down times aren't that great yet and I believe it's best to stick to depths that you are comfortable with before pushing past. I usually can go for like 1 minute at depths of around ~15m while spearing [not the best, I know, but happy to invest some time in getting better at this if it is a requirement to join a group]
  2. Scuba - another passion of mine is deep scuba diving. I am limited by my Advanced Scuba certification to 30 meters but I am looking at taking a course to go beyond this to 40 - 50 meters, I am still deciding based on budget and time required to get this. I have scuba dived in Italy (Porto Ercolo, Baia, Punto Campanella) and Indonesia (Bali, Nusa Penida, and Komodo).
PS. I am strongly considering going to Sardinia during middle July if anyone has some trips planned or some advice about spearfishing or diving spots.

I look forward to meeting some great new people. Thank you for learning more about me.

Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• gp+mogi.jpg
    gp+mogi.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT