• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Italian South African Freediver/Spearfisherman/Advanced Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

italiansaffer

Mar 21, 2023
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully meet some likeminded people at the same time.

I'm a 27yo male, born and bred in South Africa but living in Europe (mainly Italy/Switzerland) for the duration of the year. I'm an Italian citizen so travel around Europe is no problem for me.

I work remotely and have a deep love for the ocean. I have been snorkeling and freediving since a child but recently started taking it a bit more 'seriously' and got certified as an Advanced Scuba diver in 2022 as well as learning from a freediving instructor how to safely freedive and spearfish in and around the Western Cape of South Africa.

Will be spending summer in and around Italy and I was hoping to find some people to either go spearfishing, freediving, or scuba diving with. I left all my equipment in South Africa, so I will need to rent (or buy) some equipment while I am here, which I have no problem doing.

The best time for me will be between June - mid August, when I will be permanently stationed in Italy and will be looking to hit the sea as much as possible. I will not list some of the things that I have in mind, but I would love to know if there are better ideas or (preferably) if I would be so lucky to join some of you awesome people on a trip.

1. Spearfishing & freediving - would LOVE to go spearfishing in the Mediterranean, this is something I really want to do after falling in love with spearing in South Africa. I am a strong swimmer but I don't like to push depths below 18m just because my down times aren't that great yet and I believe it's best to stick to depths that you are comfortable with before pushing past. I usually can go for like 1 minute at depths of around ~15m while spearing [not the best, I know, but happy to invest some time in getting better at this if it is a requirement to join a group]
  2. Scuba - another passion of mine is deep scuba diving. I am limited by my Advanced Scuba certification to 30 meters but I am looking at taking a course to go beyond this to 40 - 50 meters, I am still deciding based on budget and time required to get this. I have scuba dived in Italy (Porto Ercolo, Baia, Punto Campanella) and Indonesia (Bali, Nusa Penida, and Komodo).
PS. I am strongly considering going to Sardinia during middle July if anyone has some trips planned or some advice about spearfishing or diving spots.

I look forward to meeting some great new people. Thank you for learning more about me.

Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• gp+mogi.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…