• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Its chocolate an alkaline food?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alejandro Mirab

Dec 22, 2008
Hi all, I was making an alkaline food chart for my diet, But i'm confused with the chocolat. Annellie Pompe says that it is alkaline. But then i find other people that says it is very bad for breath holding. Does anyone knows about this?

Hi all, I was making an alkaline food chart for my diet, But i'm confused with the chocolat. Annellie Pompe says that it is alkaline. But then i find other people that says it is very bad for breath holding. Does anyone knows about this?

I'm not sure whether it's alkaline or not. But concerning the breath holding, I think one of the reasons, I deduce from reading Pelizzari's book, is that chocolate is not good because of the caffeine making it an excitment that raises the heart rate.

Raw unprocessed cocoa powder is full of antioxidants and is probably alkaline forming. Cooked/processed cocoa in chocolate bars is probably acid forming.

However chocolate does contain caffeine. But what is very interesting is that cooked cocoa products accelerate the heart beat, while raw cocoa products do not, even though they contain the same amount of caffeine.

Raw cocoa powder:
Cacao (Chocolate) Powder, 16 oz, Sunfood Nutrition (raw, certified organic)

Raw chocolate:
Chocolate For Health .:: Xocai ::. - Dark Chocolate and Acai Berries together for Antioxidant Power

What is clear from my experience is that eating raw cocoa products makes me feel really good, while eating classic cooked/processed/sugary chocolate makes me feel bad.

Buy the 80% organic cocoa stuff not the ordinary cadbury bars of milk chocolate.

I think if you like chocolate enough you can produce a good placebo effect by eating the high cocoa stuff ;)

apparently white chocolate doesn't normally contain caffeine - so you could hit the Milky Bars!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT