• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Its too big!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Sorry about the subject i just couldnt resist! Anyway after an operation on my toes my foot is now pernamently slightly bigger.. by about 1/2 size i'll be having the same operation on the other foot in the near future so am expecting similar results.. My problem is that my cressi gara 3000 fins are now a little tight, they are still useable but putting them on and long periods wearing them cause problems.. i.e cramping and rubbing. Anyway i'd rather not shell out for another pair after loosing one of my 2000's only 6 months ago so is there anyway i can stretch them slightly? I was thinking about possibly putting them in hot water and wearing them as they cool... would this work or am i likely to weaken or even break/split the rubber? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Joe

Hi Ickle, when I bought my Riffe Silent Hunter fins (rebranded Omer Millenniums) a couple of years ago, I noticed that even with the best-fitting size they were still tight across the top of my foot. I therefore left them out in the sun (this was summertime in Southern California, with daytime temps in the 80-90 F range) and then put blocks of wood in stretch the pockets slightly. They're now a perfect fit.

I would recommend approaching this carefully, and doing just a bit of a stretch at a time. You can always stretch them out more, but if you overshoot it's tough to remedy. (Except I suppose by wearing a heavier neoprene sock.)

Ahhh so it is possible! thanks for the input.. think i might try wearing them while blasting them with the hairdryer.. that may well do the trick! Cheers
Joe

Haha... hairdryer... please let us know how you succeed!

Actually, when I used to custom fit downhill ski boots, a hair dryer is exactly what we would use to make some modifications. Maybe not a hair dryer per-se, but a heat gun which is nothing more than a souped up hair dryer.

The heat would soften the palstic and let you mold it a little better to the foot bed.

Jon

Try stretching them like people have said, but if that does not work, you can cut the foot pockets and 'lace' up the gap when you have it set at the right size. Use dental floss for the laces, and heat up a large needle or similar to make the holes in the rubber. Tie the dental floss off permanently. Use the dental floss to take the full tension towards the cut, or else the cut will of course grow too big.
I used a pair of Esclapez foot pockets for a couple of years with no problem when I ripped them and fixed them with this method.

Yes ues.. i have bizarre images of me sitting in my boxers heating my feet with a hairdryer too! Anyway thanks for the input and i'll try it tomorrow when im off work an post my results!
Cheers
Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT