• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

IWC World Static Apnea Contest, Monaco 21-23.07

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
We would like to organize a friendly competition, without any suspicion and debates, and in this light your case is insolvent. After numerous meetings with our partners and after hearing the athletes' point of view, it was decided that you cannot be invited to this years World Static Apnea Contest in Monaco.

Believe me, I am sorry for this decision. I strongly advise you to clean up your image and to re-establish a positive and healthy image of our ?? sport.

Certainly this cannot be concidered a world competition.
May I suggest "The Good Ol Boys Static Championship of Monaco"
Keep the faith Tom we know you can do it.

jim

Reactions: donmoore
Asside from Tom Sietas' unnessesairy exclusion.

I don't like the elimination proces. I do not expect any WR, not even from Tom if he would participate, Because a long static takes really a lot of concentration and wears one out. Doing so many max attempts sound not as fun to me.

Kars

Last edited:
Bam Bam,

Although your sample showed prednisone, that was at AIDA worlds (at which Tom's had traces of Metoprolol). The article in question talks about Tom's next doping test, which was after his 8'58" world record, some time after worlds; that was the test which showed traces of prednisone, like your test. So I hope that clears up the confusion. In all cases the amounts were insignificant.

I heard from Pierre FROLLA via e-mail. It sounds like the door is not totally closed on Tom. I believe Pierre FROLLA is trying to make a good event and he and some others may have just made a bad decision based on inaccurate facts. Nobody can say they have never made a bad decision before!

His main issue right now seems to be that the competition is organized for 12 athletes with the go against elimination format and there are currently 12 who have accepted. I didn’t tell him this and maybe I should have, but I can’t imagine 12 world-class freedivers all being ready to compete on the same day anyway. Maybe they need 13 just because the probability of something happening to prevent one from competing is high!

If not it would be real classy for one of the twelve to give Tom a chance. Maybe they could say, “I will take the chance that if Tom was included I might draw him in the first round anyway so I will challenge him. If he beats me he can have my spot.”

Off course I am just a fan and not a competitor who may have already put money, training, and scheduling into the event, so who am I to make such a suggestion. But if was a competitor and I won the event, the bragging and peer admiration would be much better if Tom had been there!

Like I told Pierre FROLLA and Kars mentioned too, who knows too if Tom’s no-warmup, all-out approach will serve him well in this format, but it sure would be interesting to see!
don

Reactions: immerlustig
Kars said:
Doing so many max attempts sound not as fun to me.
I don´t think that all have to do max attempts in every pull.
The group is very heterogeneous, (if Tom is included, more) there are few athletes that can work in the 8 minutes range, while other work in the 7 minutes range. If Mifsud starts a pull with a 6-7 athlete, he doesn´t have to make it to 8 minutes, as soon his oponent ends, he can finish his static. So the competition will be more difficult to the 6-7 range athletes because at every pull they have to perform to maximun.
I expect a WR. But I can be wrong.

Last edited:
Eric,
You’re awesome! I hope both you and Tom can compete, but your sportsmanship is exemplary! Aren’t you the only North American athlete in the event? It’s probably costing you the most to go and you are our only representation! :waterwork
don

Don,

The competition is all expenses paid. I already received my plane tickets a few weeks ago, sent to me by Pierre. We were supposed to stay in a super fancy hotel (also free), get chauffeured to and from the airport with pretty girls etc...

The monaco royal family will be attending as will the mayor and other political figures.

So that's why it seemed cool to go....

Eric,
I have great respect from your sportive offering of your place- but it would be a pity for the competition not to have you in.
I would like to see some reaction from Pierre now...

yours
Pat

efattah said:
The competition is all expenses paid. I already received my plane tickets a few weeks ago, sent to me by Pierre. We were supposed to stay in a super fancy hotel (also free), get chauffeured to and from the airport with pretty girls etc...

The monaco royal family will be attending as will the mayor and other political figures.
Ok, now THAT'S how freediving superstars should be treated!

That's a great sacrifice Eric. I wish they'de just invite 1-3 more people to counter their mistake...

Hello friends,

I don't know what to say. I have never seen so much loyalty. I would like to thank you so much, that you have made me a happy man. As the committee excluded me from the competition I was slapped in the face. But there was something that worried me more. I was afraid that, even if I were setting one WR after the other nobody would recognize it.

It sounds kind of weird to myself, because I don't do the sport for others. I actually do the sport for my own pleasure. I enjoy it very much to challenge myself and prove myself that I am capable to do great things. But in the end I think every one of us is seeking recognition. I don't think that I would have enjoyed going to competitions where everybody would have considered me a cheater.

And now, that I have read all of your touching reactions, I know that this is not going to happen. Since I got the mail from Pierre, actually since February when AIDA informed me about a positive test, I have had a hard time. And this is the biggest support and the greatest gift you could make. I hope I can give it back to you at some point... :)

I am very much impressed by the reactions and I am admiring every one who took action and stood up. But what YOU are doing right now Eric, is extraordinary - simply outstanding. You are a man of honour, I am bowing to you !!! It goes without saying that I wouldn't allow you to do that. You have worked hard and you deserved your chance!

One people, Tom

Sheesh, you're almost bringing an old cynic to tears. Man I hope this kind of chivalry is still associated with the sport in 10 years. I doubt it, but at least all of us (then) old timers can always go back to "remember when Eric offered his spot to Tom and he refused to take it? Those were the days...".

Really, I am moved...Now let's hope that everyone gets their chance...

Last edited:
This is why i love freediving. Almost all freedivers I met during my competitions and other events where nice people.
Even the guys at the very top are not arogant bastards (like in many other sports) but friendly aproachable and eager to help you and share information with you.

And Eric I already had big respect for you the way you invest in trying to improve freediving both by inventing great stuff to better our lives as well as being a big and easy accesible encyclopedia of freediving. But after this I have no words left......

Tom, just keep doing what you are doing and can do as no other......

glennv said:
This is why i love freediving. Almost all freedivers I met during my competitions and other events where nice people.
Even the guys at the very top are not arogant bastards (like in many other sports) but friendly aproachable and eager to help you and share information with you.
I agree. Freedivers are the nicest group of people I have ever met.

Eric, I admire your great generosity. I hope that you and Tom can both compete.

Lucia

Sam Still is clean!

bam bam said:
"For instance; the UK athlete Sam Still was also found with "prednisone" in the blood during the Canada World Cup. A indication that the system works "

Bam bam - I guess you are Sam Still?
I wrote the article. My object was to spread information and minize room for rumours. Everything up on the table. I do this as a private person who likes freediving.

Regarding facts on your case I had a hard time finding anything else than what I wrote. Tom commented, Nagel commented, Bill S commented. But in the end I decided what to write (since I try to use journalistic principles).

If doping is found it means the system works. It means that it will deter others from doping. And when B-samples are cleared - that also means the system works.

Sam, I am happy that you where cleared! And I think all athletes competing should be aware that doping can enter your body without you knowing if you are not careful what you eat. Also us bystanders must understand that most things on the doping list are useless for excelling in freediving.

I will add the facts you mention.

bam bam said:
the second negative result was given only a short sentance on the aida site for a short while before being replaced by some other news!

Unfortunately this happens all the time. At least in media. Corrections seldom get the same coverage.

Sebastian
Sweden

PS. Hats of for both Tom and Eric. And even though the unfortunate things mentioned in this thread - I am very much looking forward to follow this competition. I think this is the way to go. It will be dramatic.

mischievous

By the way.
I am very impressed with Toms patience. Other world class athletes has given Aida the finger for less.

And would it be far fetched to get the idea to find some cosy pool in Germany during 21-23 july, invite some judges and hold your breath 12 times in a row during those two days beating every single breathold done in Monaco. Tom might be able to do it.

Its a mischievous idea but who would blame him :)

Sebastian
Sweden

PS. Again - the Monaco initiative is a step forward for putting freediving in media. Not the usual lifestyle, "ooh it´s dangerous" angle - but full focus on the competition. Athletes head to head.
But Eric might make a scandal with the groupies or might not be allowed to pass customs with all his food suplements. And that might divert the public intrest :)

Reactions: pat fish
Re: mischievous

cebaztian said:
And would it be far fetched to get the idea to find some cosy pool in Germany during 21-23 july, invite some judges and hold your breath 12 times in a row during those two days beating every single breathold done in Monaco.
-this thread is getting adventurous... :p

Reactions: cebaztian
Not enough can be said about and Eric and Tom and all the good thoughts people have attributed in this thread.

One thing I was thinking of - it sure would be too bad if some of the media’s attention, that should go to promoting the sport, was diverted to why the best static performer in the world was not included in the World Static Competition? Could a legitimate argument really be made to justify keeping Tom Sietas out? At least one that would satisfy a scandal enthralled media?

I hope for everyone sake, Tom Sietas is allowed to participate!
don

Strange how there is such an aspiration to achieve Olympic measuring standards for doping, then a reaction like this. If you are cleared, you are cleared, isn't that enough? I can imagine the lawsuits and stink if an Olympic committee sent a letter out like that to a competitor in a similar situation!
As for my friend Mr. Fattah, I have been saying for years that he is a true competitor: one that supports his fellow competitors to no end, even to his detriment.
If I were the 10 minute man (my wife might say that I am sometimes :( ) , I'd say 'f##k 'em' . I'd keep breaking my own record and ignore events where stupidity abounds.
Best of luck Tom,
Erik Y.

Well, it's certainly clear who's image is clean. :) As far as getting freediving into the press, guess which royal princess might fall in love with a freediver...any bets on who the lucky man will be? :D

Adrian

Reactions: pat fish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT