• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

jamaica !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

smart mart

Dec 1, 2001
hello all,
just got back from a trip to jamaica and was very disapointed with the diving. even though my wife and i are both instructors they flatly refused to go deeper than 20m/60f, they would not let us two dive without a guide even though we had more expeirance than any of them.
The shallow reefs were over fished and quite barron. not much to see, and it was a case of one out, all out. so we were lucky to get more than a 30 min. dive ! even though i had only used a third of my air.
The only good thing i came across was a 8f nurse shark, my wife missed it though as she was cold after the first dive and did not dive on the second. she was cold as they did not have any wet suits for guests, only there own.
we normally take all our own equipment but airtours would only give us 20kg, sh#t or what.
The hotel was fantastic, a all-inc. it included the diving but i would have rather paid as we went then at least we would have stopped after the first or second dive.
""go to a better place if you want good diving, NO FISH, NO CORAL, NO WRECKS, NO GOOD!"
There are some wrecks in jamaica but we did not get to see any of them.:waterwork

Don't tell me, you probably went to Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, or Negril...Right? If you did, you probably stayed at Sandals, Beaches, or Hedo, or one of those places...If you want good diving you need to stay away from those places...the east coast is much better...the dives are deeper (25+m...but make for a shorter dive), fish life is better, and the coral structure is amazing...I am talking it up because I am Jamaican and my mom owns a dive shop there...go figure... www.ladygdiver.net Unless you have dove it extensively don't bad mouth a place until you are sure

Later,
David Lee
Jamaica W.I.

Another world champion on the forums....David, nice to hear from you. We could use your input on the freedive forums too!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Punters

Smart Mart,

I haven't dived in Jamaica but have done a couple of 6 mth stints doing dive work in the Caribbean. It seems like most of the problems you encountered were of your own doing, and complaining about the crew you chose is your own fault.

I was also surprised to hear that you are both instructors - complaining about the locations you got taken to and the cold and then blaming it on the dive crew you chose and the fact that they didn't have wetsuits for you - jeez, you guys should be more experienced than that. There are soo many good dive crews out there to choose from - do a bit or research before you go on a diving holiday next time. :duh

If the diving they were offering you was not too your liking - pick a better crew rather than slag of the place that you're diving in. :naughty

Cheers

diving in jamaica

We went to Jamaica on holiday last year staying at the Jamaica Renaissance Grande in Ocho Rios - FANTASTIC COUNTRY, FANTASTIC HOTEL & FANTASTIC DIVING.

The Divemaster at our hotel was first class - could not do enough to help - they are extremely protective of their reefs and I saw some marvellous sites such as hawksbill turtles, nurse shark, moray eels, massive lobster & a beautiful array of fish. The coral was also amazing. :D

Even though you are instructors these people do have rules to abide by because whether you are open water or an instructor you are still a tourist. Even when snorkelling you have to wear a life jacket. We respected the Jamaicans attitude towards both safety and their beautiful sea life and would certainly return.

You have obviously not been to Dominican Republic where the coral is badly damaged due to the lack of education in their country regarding its importance.

Respect where respect is due. Irie mon!!! :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT