• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

James Bond Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Whenever James Bond and spearguns are discussed one tends to think of the Technisub “Jaguar” which was used to skewer a baddie and nail him to a palm tree in "Thunderball". During a search which had nothing to do with James Bond a result popped up indicating an auction for movie props and one item was a speargun. When it indicated it was from a James Bond film I figured it was something from “Thunderball”, but to my surprise this is what showed up.
James Bond Speargun.jpg

I cannot say I remembered the scene, but the gun is a Scubapro “Magnum” which was released in about 1988, so that makes it new on the market when it was selected for the Bond film. Judging from the photo it is the longest model and it has the shaft clips on top of the tank which the guns had on all the models.
Scubapro catalogue 1989 R.jpg

The shaft plastic clip, there are two of them, one in front of the grip handle section and the other as shown at the muzzle.
Scubapro Magnum muzzle and spear holder.jpg

It could be that this gun is not unique as shooting of scenes in segments could mean more than one gun was used. We can see from this photo that they had a bunch of them in a wall rack, including one or two of the short versions. What they refer to as a blunted tip is actually the shaft tail, they have it clipped in the gun the wrong way around. I would say that this gun is depressurised, so no guarantee it still works, but unless the inner barrel is scored by some moron putting the shaft in the barrel the wrong way around then it could be put back into running order. The price is ridiculous unless you know if it truly was say the “water-skiing handle” gun.
James Bond Magnums.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zahar
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT