• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Japan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello,
I am in Japan. Live in Chiba.
Where are you based?
I have a friend that has just moved to Okinawa. If you are down that way I can put you in contact with him.
Cheers,
adon

I've just found tis site,
I'm based in Tottori city, Tottori prefecture. on the japan sea coast. just discovered big snapper, and flatfish. some great spots here.

Hello,
Tottori is a bit away from me, but I would love to try spearing there. Went to Niigata earlier in the year but the viz was terrible.
What kind of snapper you got around there?
If you are ever up this way drop me a line and we can try and get somethign arranged.
I am thinking about a trip to Miyake jima in Oct/Nov (one of the Izu islands),if you are interested get in touch.
Cheers,
adon

Adon,

Not sure what kind of snapper they are. they are not red snapper although the locals say you can get them. the snapper I see are a plain silver kind of colour, they range in size from big to huge. I've left it a little late in the summer to get back into spearfishing so I'm just discovering spots and what fish there are as I go. Your Oct/Nov. trip sounds great, might be a bit cold for me then though. I going to look for a wetsuit and gun during the winter
might get sumething cheaper. I just got a 262cm polespear from the net, it's gonna get it's first run on sunday.

Can you tell me where you get your gear? local store or internet etc.
What kind of gear do you use to hunt?

Cheers mate.

Could be kurodai that you are getting. They are good eating.
What is the water temp down there?

I have three guns and a pole, but mostly use the guns.
Winter trips use a 5mm wet suit, now just using rash gaurd as the jellyfish are around.

I got the guns abroad but recently I found a dive shop in Tokyo that sells Beuchat guns (expensive) and a fishing tackle shop, again Beuchat guns in Okinawa (cheap), but out of the way. I got the card for the tackle shop so if you want I can send you the details. I asked and they said that they would send stuff to Tokyo so I guess they would send to Tottori as well.
There is also a diving shop in Saitam that sells riffe gear but that can get expensive.
What gear are you looking for?
Do the fish look like the ones in the attachment?

Attachments

• 487726887_2981f2c4f2[1].jpg
    487726887_2981f2c4f2[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: Mr. X
yep there are the ones.

dont know what the water temp is. but I'm fine in a rashie and swim shorts.

A bit quick to catch with my pole, but possible. Theres a lot of big black and silver striped fish as well that tastes good.

As for the gear I want to buy. first I have to get the green light from my wife, and I'll try to build my kit up in the off season maybe it's cheaper?

I found this site which seems to be selling guns cheap.
SCUBA Authority¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Spear Guns Collection¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Catalogu

Beuchant
Arka sport 1000 ¥13,660
mundial comp. 1000 ¥27,570

I'm guessing they are cheap.
I want to get something above entry level so I dont have to upgrade if need be.

I want to get 1) a gun.
2) a wetsuit
3) a stringer

What do you suggest in the way of guns and prices in japan
What guns do you use and did you have any trouble bringing them into japan?

thanks mate.

Last edited:
That site looks good.
I would buy the gun in Japan and if there are any probs you can get it fixed.
I have the Omer Cayman HF 100, Picasso 100, and a JBL Competition Magnum.
I just got the Omer and it is a good gun but I had a problem with the line release mechanism. Had to get a pat sent from Omer.
From what I have heard the Omer T20s are a good option. If you check this site there is a load of info on guns!
I did not have any probs getting the guns into the country. Where are you from? You could just get one back home and bring it over that would be the cheapest bet.
There was a good thread about wetsuits check diveskin.net. I think that I might get one of these.
Black and silver fish could be the ishidai, it is tasty!
cheers

Hi,
I'm in Tokyo. Where can we practice here????
Hoping to meet some other freedivers and go on some recreational dives.. .I'm more into spending time underwater looking at stuff (fish & coral), rather than following a rope to see how deep I can go... Got a friend here too interested too.. and he's a fanatical spearfisher, and would love to shoot and eat something (pref big)
Cheers
Scott

I don't know much about the tokyo area, probably too many people to go spearing.
Maybe head up to chiba, but adon said on a different thread that the coast guard busted him not long ago so maybe not. I'm lucky to live in a small city on the japan sea, and have not had any problems (yet) good luck finding somewhere.

Where about in Tokyo are you based?
I am in Chiba, near Disney Land!!
If we are close we could meet up. Always looking for people to dive/spear with.

Hey Adon,
I better set email notifications "on" for replies... It's been a month now...
I'm in Shibuya in Tokyo. Actually, we are discussing a "surfing" trips to Chiba over summer. Except I don't surf... But I could certainly hitch a ride with them, and find my way to a good diving spot. Any recomendations?
I still need to get a wetsuit. Where can I get a good freediving suit in Japan without ordering from Italy (which I guess would be a very good one)

Last edited:
Get one from diveskin in greece. much cheaper than anything you will find in japan. unless you get a surf suit. I got one this year. fits like a glove.

My friends go surfing in Chiba all the time. The places that they go are not so good for spearing, but you will not get any hassle from the fishermen.
I am heading to Shikine jima nest week with a couple of friends for a spearing trip. First time there so it should be interesting. If you are up for going to the Izu islands, Miyake jima is the best. Really good fishing campachi, shima aji, tai ...
As for the suit you will not need one in the summer, rash gaurd will do or up to a 3mm. I have a 5mm Cressi for the winter. I got all my stuff from the net as monchan says it is bloody expensive getting any kind of diving gear in Japan.
Drop me a line and we can try and arrange to meet up for a spear some time.
Cheers,
Adon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT