• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

jaws-n-ears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

M-2

Jun 28, 2002
Okay boys, here's a question for you. Anyone know anything about how common TMJ is among divers? I've had a few problems with it for a few years. My dentist recently mentioned that he had heard, or suspected, that it might be prevalent among divers due to holding a reg or snorkel in the mouth. I hadn't really thought about it, but was curious to hear what some of you think or have experienced. In my case it makes sense, as my left jaw is the major problem and me left ear is also more difficult to clear than my right. It's also logical considering the relationship of the jaw to the eustachian tubes. Interestingly enough, it did develop after I started diving, but I have no solid evidence of a connection. I know that it used to be worse before I really took to holding my reg or snorkel with my lips or changing my jaw position. What do you think guys (and/or ladies)?

Anderson, maybe you could have Aquiles take a shot at this one.

-Michael

Originally posted by M-2 In my case it makes sense, as my left jaw is the major problem and me left ear is also more difficult to clear than my right. [/B]

left jaw? how many jaws do you have? and "me left ear"? do you have a patch over one of your eyes and a parrot on your shoulder? rofl :D

seriously M-2, i'll give aquiles a shout about this. one thing is that everybody has a TMJ, actually two(temporomandibular joint). it's the TMJ "syndrome" or disorders of the joint that are the problems. ;) most people say this way too often. it's like saying i have "elbow". :D sorry, just giving you sh#t.

i think the most immediate remedy for you would be to switch to the softest mouthpiece possible. i know sporasub's latest is really comfy.

i think this could be an interesting topic. i know i've had trouble/pain w/ my jaw a bit more ever since i've been biting on a snorkel.

later,
anderson

oh, you're hilarious anderson! only a rocket scientist would give me ---- about my wording on that. ;) actually didn't you know that i'm a mutant with a third head growing out of my shoulder?! that explains the 'left jaw'.

seriously, i found it interesting that you've had some jaw discomfort too.

hey, by the way. i figured out a cheater way to load that gun. i was having a hard time reaching the band, so i ran a small rope through it to help me get it started, pulled it back until i could grab the band and then finish it off. i hate to think what people with shorter arms than me have to do! got blown out friday by storms. we were sandwiched between two of them with a nice water spout as a bonus. i was thinking of aquiles saying and didn't recall anything about water spouts or lightning, so we came back in.

catch you later and thanks for the response.

-michael

arggh matey!

I was just discussing this the other morning with a vitamin supplement saleswoman friend of mine. Her TMJ that is, and how through practice it would be lessened. :p

Time my friend...time and practice.

sven

Careful there Sven, Anderson will be on you if you don't include 'syndrome' after TMJ! :D

Thanks for the reply. What exactly do you mean by practice? Like I said, in my case I don't really bite down on the mouth piece anymore and I don't notice an increase in symptoms in my TMJ....SYNDROME :) with diving. I suppose at this point that that's a good indication that it is no longer dive related.

Later Matey.....

-Mike

Practice, as in her getting used to and more comfortable with the uh, mouthpiece in her piehole.
Nice thing is that when she's snorkeling , things are nice and quiet.:head

Sounds like your muscles are going through a similar regime and it's on it's way to being solved. Your syndrome that is.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT