• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL mod?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone tried grinding/filing off the raised section of a jbl spear which catches the slide? I wanted to do this and drill a hole through the shaft to rig it euro style. I was hoping this would let it ride flat on the plastic rail and eliminate the noise of the slide hitting the spear. should also help minimally w/ speed and accuracy I would think.

JBL mod

What you have suggested will work. Try getting a non metal open muzzle for the gun as well. This will eliminate a lot of the noise. Try looking at Hanapaa website. If you cant find one, you can always cut open the muzzle with a hack saw. Reason for open muzzle is that it is faster to load and won't catch the crip or knot when you rig the shaft euro style. Personally I hate the slide ring as it would always malfunction during a dive. JBL guns will work but it has been my experience that they tend to have a lot of problems. I would not load more than three 1/2 or two 9/16 inch bands. Anything more and your trigger mech will start to malfunction.

Brad :martial

Will single crimped 400lb mono pass through the closed muzzle or do I have to hack it? Also where do I attach the shooting line, at the very end of the spear or 4-5 inches from the end? Thanks

I think you need to cut open the muzzle. Drill the hole a couple of inches above the last wishbone notch. Seriously check into the prefab open muzzle though. This made my old magnum a lot more quiet, accurate and faster to load.

Brad :martial

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…