• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL mod?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Has anyone tried grinding/filing off the raised section of a jbl spear which catches the slide? I wanted to do this and drill a hole through the shaft to rig it euro style. I was hoping this would let it ride flat on the plastic rail and eliminate the noise of the slide hitting the spear. should also help minimally w/ speed and accuracy I would think.

JBL mod

What you have suggested will work. Try getting a non metal open muzzle for the gun as well. This will eliminate a lot of the noise. Try looking at Hanapaa website. If you cant find one, you can always cut open the muzzle with a hack saw. Reason for open muzzle is that it is faster to load and won't catch the crip or knot when you rig the shaft euro style. Personally I hate the slide ring as it would always malfunction during a dive. JBL guns will work but it has been my experience that they tend to have a lot of problems. I would not load more than three 1/2 or two 9/16 inch bands. Anything more and your trigger mech will start to malfunction.

Brad :martial

Will single crimped 400lb mono pass through the closed muzzle or do I have to hack it? Also where do I attach the shooting line, at the very end of the spear or 4-5 inches from the end? Thanks

I think you need to cut open the muzzle. Drill the hole a couple of inches above the last wishbone notch. Seriously check into the prefab open muzzle though. This made my old magnum a lot more quiet, accurate and faster to load.

Brad :martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT