• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL Mods

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
ok Rig, Jefe, da boys....

I have a JBL .38 NW. I want more power then the 3X 5/8 bands can provide. I hear talk of a few Modified JBL's out there.

So lets chat - discuss some options. Mod muzzles? has anyone found TI tube to fit a JBL? more then 3 bands? the stock groves on the JBL shaft look sharp, so unless I file (avoid), not sure if non-metalic wishbones will work.

I want this thing to make a M1A1 cringe.

Willer

Kurt Bickel has a website somewhere(try freedive list and go in pictures and click his name, this should take you to his place?) where he shows pics of how he modified his JBL 450XHD, many of these mods should work on your gun.

As for more than 3 5/8 bands...not sure if your trigger will like that? but you can definately go to the nylon wishbones if you get an open muzzle. This would allow use of a riffe style shaft. A rcent thread shows someone doing this mod to a euro gun.

What exactly is it you want to change about your gun? How does it shoot now and what is it you are wanting it to do?

1) Shorten some new, blue 5/8" bands by 1-1/2". HanaPa'a carries it.

2) Get a good, no bullshit tip, ala a tricut, detachable and keep it sharp... I often find myself sharpening a tip after a dive where I haven't fired at anything, but upon reflection, recall using the gun as a prop to push off the bottom with.

3) Once a year, like when it's raining, pull the guts and take a little file and smooooth out the nicks on the sear.

4) You can find a titanium tube and have it turned down to fit the JBL muzzles and handle assemblies, but it can get a tad pricey unless you touch the machinist up with a couple filets. Wrap the barrel in black electrical tape to keep 'em from seeing you before you see them.

5) The older, as in OLD JBL muzzles seemed to be a bit larger and allowed a 4th 9/16" band, but I personally get frustrated and worried about that much rubber bunching up. Whatever the case, metal wishbones are de riguer, as in gently ease the notches on the shaft. And if you can source out the heavier wishbones, let me know- I'm out.

5) Replace the butt pad with a pad from Riffe or Wong that will spread the recoil if you launch with the thing too close to your body. And here arises a style thing- keep your gun arm pretty well locked. I've seen divers with bazookas I've made for them not be able to get the shaft to do anything as their body soaks up the recoil of the gun, by having their arm swing with the jolt, rather than being a foundation for the gun.

Pretty basic stuff when you think about it, but other than just adding the bands, there's not a whole heckuva lot you need to do but practice to dive better.

sven DB's pimp for Riffe, JBL and all things good and true. :king

I have a couple of the old JBL stainless wishbones kicking around - they're pretty hardcore. I'm already working on shortening the bands. I see what I can dig up for TI tube for this bad boy. I didn't think there was much left to do to this - I am looking for a good detachable tip though. this thing will already plow through a steel trashcan, pretty wicked little toy.

just wannted to see if there were any radical designes out there for JBL's.

Willer

Little shindig at my place tonight, so, sorry boys, would write more, but back to the ladies.....

so shortend the three 5/8 bands to 14" , 15" , and 16". they were all stock 16" x 9/16. should get some power now.

the buttstock has been shortend by 3". should help me squeeze under things a little better now.

will test this puppy out in 13days when I'm in the Arabian Gulf.

next step: finding some TI Tube....

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT