• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL Woody Magnum

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Patrick

Jun 4, 2002
I recently was given a JBL Woody Magnum(63"). I have a couple of questions re this gun:
1. Someplace I read in this forum that these guns are dangerous. The trigger is prone to failure. Could someone with knowledge of the specfic problem elaborate on the danger? Is there a good method of fixing this problem?
2. Since the gun is way bigger than I need, is it OK to cut the gun down? I noticed on the JBL site that they offer shorter("saw off") versions of the gun.
Thank you for your assistance. Patrick

Hi Patrick. Yep, spearguns are dangerous, especially when used in a manner that invites injury. A speargun is no less likely to hurt/kill than a conventional gun... it's all on the owner.

A JBL trigger is as prone to failure as any other trigger that has been abused or mistreated, only less so. It's a pretty stout and simple trigger mechanism that with a flushing after the dive and a shot of WD 40 or silicone spray, a quick check of the shaft tang and an annual look-see at the sear, will provide you with lots of time gathering dinner.

I've got these triggers that are more than thirty years old and are fine, so give 'em a look and launch! Cutting down a longer gun is fine as long as you realize that you'll need a shorter spearshaft and will possibly need to relocate the handle/trigger to balance the length/weight. Oftentimes you can sell it, as on ebay and pick up the gun you want and be even. If you do cut it down, do so carefully as the cuts need to be square and the hardware mounting needs to be correct.

Icarus:
Thank you for your help.

Now that my worry has been reduced, I think, I will just give the gun a go. The problem, I believe, is that up until now I have only used pole spears and a much smaller gun. Now, if I can just find something that is more in keeping with this gun and good eating.

Once again - thanks.
Patrick

No worries. You might want to set up an old float or plastic construction netting square to use as a target to practice on. There aren't a great deal of freeswimming fish up your way, except salmon, and the lingcod, cabezon and lesser rockfish are near/on the bottom, lopping off the barrel to a more manageable length would be the ticket.

Patrick,

If that Woody is the old model witth brown pistol grip, watch out for the trigger pin popping out near the line release mechanism. It will first show white dot on the brown plastic, sign of plastic fatigue when about to crack.

The new model is dull black pistol grip, I am sure they got the problem fixed.

Other JBL with aluminum pistol grip don't have such problem. Woody is the only JBL I know using that plastic pistol grip.

Good luck.
IYA

Iscarus and Iyadiver:

The gun has the black handle. However I will watch for fatique. Thank you for your post.

Iscarus; You are correct about the species in this area. However, most are in no danger from me and the long gun. I tried the target tonight. The only fish I would be able to get are blind ones that run into the spear.

In any case, thank you both for your help.

Patrick

I was thinking of buying a JBl woody magnum, how do you like yours? i heard that it is not that good of a gun on other posts so i was a little hesitant. what do you think?

Try the JBL Northwest 38 Special. It's cheaper, and it's a strong gun with a good reputation.

I just bought a wood JBL 38 special that is 42". It's my first gun, and my first experience with spearfishing, but it worked great my first time out, feels sturdy, and is dead on accurate. I shot a perch from about 10 feet away, and the spear actually when right through the spine and stuck into a rock. That dulled the tip a bit, but shows the power of the gun.

It also floats, which is great for when my amateur ass needs to shake the cramp out of my hand or take a rest on the surface...

My last couple times out I've got fish in the 25lb range. I like the jbl, plus I can take a couple pounds off my belt when I use it. It's the only reef gun I've ever had and I like it better than the euros or pneumatics that I've tried, it's way more durable and packs more of a punch.

I do have one and it really sucks. Heavy shaft and weak bands makes this gun useless. I've replaced factory bands with better ones but perfomance did not imporve. I would not recommend to get this gun even if they pay you $$ to use it.

i have a sawed off magnam 52 inchs. its a good gun i have caught big calico, some sheephead, sharks, and some big perch. Its a good gun

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT