• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Jbl XHD vs. Standard

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Does anyone know what the big difference is between the two? Is it really worth shelling out for the XHD models? or is it just the black finish and thicker bands? (Can do that myself)

IS the Tubing really thicker? The Magnum series has the same Trigger Mechs does it not? Are the Muzzels different?

hmmmm......

Willer

JBL

On some XHD guns the tubing is heavier. I did recieve one where it wasn't, so it would pay to check wall thickness while you can still return it.

The trigger mechanisms on the XHD are supposed to be hardend to reduce galling and ensure that you can fire the gun after adding heavier bands.

On the 450 XHD the muzzle is plastic vs. aluminum on the other guns.

Hello Kurt,

Read ur gun projects at 2Xtreme....good reading. Why no more updates ?

Rgrds-IYA

AMP,
If that XHD plastic muzzle does not change from those I tried, beware of loosing the last outer band when a shot is done. It enjoy flying off the gun for some reason. A semi-tight fit nylon tie wrap on the last band is a good insurance. My friend's muzzle get reinforced by some plastic epoxy to prevent breakage, his already snapped clean twice.

The trigger has a extra welding of a carbide insert. Will take harder bands but still it generates stiff trigger action. This info is for XHD before year 2000, I don't know if any changes is made but the shaft stop point for the slide ring is now rounded not two sharp notch anymore. Won't kill ur slide ring like last time but it does make the shaft thicker by almost 1mm on that stopper and it cause the shaft to produce very small gap when sliding on the plastic track. Accuracy wise, I don't know now.

IYA

Originally posted by Iyadiver
I don't know if any changes is made but the shaft stop point for the slide ring is now rounded not two sharp notch anymore. Won't kill ur slide ring like last time but it does make the shaft thicker by almost 1mm on that stopper and it cause the shaft to produce very small gap when sliding on the plastic track. Accuracy wise, I don't know now.

IYA

I had to buy this new shockline mechanism when I lost my shaft and line last Spring (it is important to make sure your wrap isn't damaged before you take a shot at a 10K fish :duh). Right away I noticed that same gap you mentioned, and was sceptical. But after using it for a summer, I decided there really wasn't any difference.

IYA,

I've been very busy with a lot of different things over the last year or two. My intent is to move all the information over to my new site at Breathhold.com and add a considerable amount of content over the next year or so.

Dive safe.

Uni,
Throw away the JBL original line, it is useless. Use mono if you don't want any cable shooting line. Of of these days you will have a slipping bungie on that JBL shooting line. My JBL bungie always slipped off when a big fish pulled. They used ss ring crimped, not very reliable. I rather use wax line to secure/plug that bungie. Anyway most of my friend's JBL are modified by me to use Riffe 5" bungie and shivel and 500 lbs coated ss cable if not 1000 lbs Kevlar. The only problem is you must make a special extra loop attachment at the anchor point cause the hole is too small to use Riffe bungie where a looped connection is required. The loop I use is a 1000 lbs Kevlar double crimped. My JBL friends like the Riffe bungie swivel and pigtail cause it last much longer, seldom failed at the 'plugged' end, having spinning capability now and when they their shaft get stuck somewhere they can un clip it and salvage later. I used to use Sampo bearings and snap connection ( my fishing supply ) at 250 lbs rated but the snap get straightened very easy by a mere 10 kg fish.

Kurt,
Will sure to "haunt" ur new www. Hungry for good reading. Thanks.

Thanks guys - think I'll just stick to the standard JBL Models - they seem to get the job done with out the 30% price jump for the XHD.

Still hunting for TI tubes for my NW Special.......

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT