• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Jellyfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
Just wondering if anybody out there every worries about jellyfish when they're diving? I surf throughout the year here in England, and twice I have surfaced from duck-diving a wave to find a jellyfish on my head. Not nice - painful stings but nothing life-threatening!
I often see jellyfish when I dive around the shores here, most are only small but every now and then I see some huge ones, about twice the size of a soccer ball. So when I'm cruising along the surface preparing to get back down there I often find myself worrying about swimming headfirst into one. With the kind of jellies we have here that would mean a painful sting which would go away after a day or so, but in some of the places some of the DB members dive in there are some really nasty jellyfish about.
Any thoughts?
Tom.
:)

Reactions: Pekka
50 cm, but in Arctic waters har examples of about 2 m been observed
Wow, glad the waters here in Sweden aren't "Arctic" :) (Or are they?).

But I did see one this summer with tentacles more than 5 meters long! The "body" wasn't that big, maybe 40 cm, but the tentacles seemed to go on forever! I found it near the bottom at around 19 meters depth and I wish I had had a camera with me, because it was by far the worst jellyfish I have ever seen!

// Johnny

I've never seen as many jellyfish (Lions mane) before as I saw this summer. They were litterarly everywhere, and ofcourse I got stung several times on my mouth and cheeks :(

I usually try to avoid them, but suited all over its basically only the mouth/cheeks that can get stung. When ascending from a dive I try to relax as normal and try no to bother too much about them. Also I place my right hand over my mouth to cover the worst.

I dive alot in Norway, and have seen Jelly's about 1m head with 10-15m of tentacles!

But the books say they can get bigger, anyways i can't stand getting stung, and it usually result in aborted dives. I have seen people wearing full face masks. Where can you get one of those?

I was freediving in Cabo San Lucas when I was 15 when I ran into the invisible tentacles of a Portuguese manowar. A hurricane had passed through a few days before so the animal had been torn into pieces and as a result only the tentacles remained giving me no warning. It was by far the most painful experience of my life and nearly drowned me. I live in the Los Angeles area and often see large jellyfish but have never been stung. But just a warning to all just because you cant see them doesent mean they can't sting you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT